Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Vertikal (471-481 King St E) | 23 & 19 fl | U/C
I asked Drewlo about their property and this is part of their response: 

"We are in the very initial planning stages of, what will probably be, two towers in this area however we do not foresee that taking place within at least the next two years."

They had demo permits issued last week. Isn't there typically construction timelines once demolition happens?
(03-31-2017, 12:08 PM)Spokes Wrote: They had demo permits issued last week.  Isn't there typically construction timelines once demolition happens?

I think it's "before hell freezes over".    Wink
We've lived in the Iron Horse Towers for five years now. Very content with the building, though they can be pricey units.
I have read a number of demolition reports for projects in Waterloo and they usually approve a demolition application on the basis that an appropriate proposal is in place for the subject property.

In Kitchener the demolition applications don't always indicate what the demolition is being pursued for.

A bit disappointed that we are not likely to see action here outside of demolition for a couple of years.
(03-31-2017, 08:07 AM)jgsz Wrote: I asked Drewlo about their property and this is part of their response: 

"We are in the very initial planning stages of, what will probably be, two towers in this area however we do not foresee that taking place within at least the next two years."

Unsure if I would put too much weight on what the rep said. Of course, you could also read it that they can't see completion of the two tower in the next two year.

Either way, will be nice once that eye-sore is cleaned up.
(03-31-2017, 02:05 PM)dev Wrote: We've lived in the Iron Horse Towers for five years now. Very content with the building, though they can be pricey units.

Thanks for the insight, dev, and welcome to WCR!

(04-01-2017, 09:01 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(03-31-2017, 02:05 PM)dev Wrote: We've lived in the Iron Horse Towers for five years now. Very content with the building, though they can be pricey units.

Thanks for the insight, dev, and welcome to WCR!

Thanks tomh009. I've been here a long time, just don't post much.  Blush
(03-30-2017, 09:59 PM)embe Wrote: Was there a  White Rose gas station on this block (or nearby) in the 50's?  trying to piece together some historical stuff. thanks

Yes, at King & Victoria. You can see it here.
My hope is that they do not keep things as they are for 2 years.  Everything boarded up and getting tagged with graffiti is really bad for the neighbourhood.

Since the businesses moved out of two of those buildings, they have really gone downhill.
Arguably they were already in pretty rough shape 40 years ago.
(04-04-2017, 01:07 AM)tomh009 Wrote: Arguably they were already in pretty rough shape 40 years ago.

Not really - 40 years ago there were businesses in all those buildings.  Maybe you mean 10 years ago?

Either way, vacant buildings attract a lot more issues.  They only became fully  vacant when Drewlo bought a few months back.
(04-04-2017, 09:22 AM)REnerd Wrote:
(04-04-2017, 01:07 AM)tomh009 Wrote: Arguably they were already in pretty rough shape 40 years ago.

Not really - 40 years ago there were businesses in all those buildings.  Maybe you mean 10 years ago?

Yes, there were businesses there 40 years ago (Stevens Mercury and Gascho Jeep).  But the buildings were already run down back then and poorly maintained.

Deomolition fencing up around the former Enterprise location on this site, but only around it. Would suggest that they don't want or expect to lease it, but don't expect to move on this block for some time. Otherwise, they would demolish it all in one go, cheaper that way.
Drove past here today and they were taking down the old Enterprise (I think?) and some other stuff... excavator and all that going to town on stuff.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »