Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Vertikal (471-481 King St E) | 23 & 19 fl | U/C
In addition, the other two dealership buildings are now fenced off.

Drewlo currently has the permit to demo any current structures on this site, so you can expect a proposal in the near future.
The current structures are now pretty much gone.

"A four-storey-building will cover most of the block. Rising out of that podium building will be two apartment buildings, one with 14 floors and another with 18 floors. The Charles Street side of the block will feature apartments with three floors.

The part of the podium building fronting on King Street East will contain commercial and retail space.

A total of 523 parking spaces are proposed. There will be one floor of underground parking and three floors of parking in the four-storey podium building."

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/736...Aw.twitter
East end desperately needs this!  Happy to see this moving forward.
I am always confused by this, does it mean Heights of 14 and 18 floors or 18 and 22 I believe it means the latter?

Either way great to hear more news on this long awaited development.

From the article if all goes well construction could begin in a year. Downtown development incentives end March 1, 2019 so they are hoping to have everything in place by then.
(06-08-2017, 08:21 PM)rangersfan Wrote: I am always  confused by this, does it mean Heights of 14 and 18 floors or 18 and 22 I believe it means the latter?

From the article if all goes well construction could begin in a year. Downtown development incentives end March 1, 2019 so they are hoping to have everything in place by then.

i think it would 14 & 18 on top of podium. Podium is 3 floors of parking, not apartments.

it will be a huge boost for the east end and Drewlo delivers.

One is very glad to see development of that block, especially on this scale. One just hopes it isn't TOO ugly.
(06-09-2017, 07:09 AM)panamaniac Wrote: One is very glad to see development of that block, especially on this scale.  One just hopes it isn't TOO ugly.

Drewlo is held to such a high standard.  Ugly = good work.  Too Ugly = come'on guys you could do better.

Smile
I will be very glad to have my expectations shown to be set too low, but yeah.
Others have posted pictures of City Place on Dundas in London. It's not going to win any awards, but I think it's better than "ugly." I also think Drewlo should be expected to do at least that well here.
(06-08-2017, 08:21 PM)rangersfan Wrote: I am always  confused by this, does it mean Heights of 14 and 18 floors or 18 and 22 I believe it means the latter?

I think it means the latter as well.

I'm really happy about this.  This is essentially exactly what I was hoping for here.  I hope the Charles street is brownstone style units like 144 Park.
(06-09-2017, 10:43 AM)Spokes Wrote:

I think it means the latter as well.

I'm really happy about this.  This is essentially exactly what I was hoping for here.  I hope the Charles street is brownstone style units like 144 Park.

In a rental?  Possible, I suppose, but unlikely, istm.

The article suggests that the savings from the waved development fees will be used for building aesthetics, so that gives me some hope, and the fact that there will be retail units facing King is great news.
Demolition and cleanup looks to be complete now, unless they will be doing some grading on the lot.

Now, how long will it be before they get a shovel into the ground?

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »