Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Vertikal (471-481 King St E) | 23 & 19 fl | U/C
(07-17-2017, 04:02 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Demolition and cleanup looks to be complete now, unless they will be doing some grading on the lot.

Now, how long will it be before they get a shovel into the ground?

As soon as the city approves it? If it hasn't done so already. Then environment assessment, so perhaps shovels by May 2018.

Some more comments from Drewlo about them being eager to get going in The Record today, as part of a story about downtown development fee waivers expiring. https://www.therecord.com/news-story/758...-new-fees/
$80-million development expected to boost Kitchener downtown’s east end

Quote:The first major development in the east end of downtown will get underway by spring 2019.
The $80-million development will fill an entire city block, bounded by King Street East, Madison Avenue, and Charles and Cameron streets, with a five-storey podium topped by two residential highrises 14 and 18 storeys high.
Developer Drewlo Holdings hopes to see people start to move into the 473 one- and two-bedroom units by late 2020.

Click through for a render.
I'm getting a little tired of this patchwork aesthetic that seems to be popular in a lot of new buildings around here. I'm thrilled to see some redevelopment further south of downtown, but this building just looks so... confused.
(02-07-2018, 10:10 PM)jamincan Wrote: I'm getting a little tired of this patchwork aesthetic that seems to be popular in a lot of new buildings around here. I'm thrilled to see some redevelopment further south of downtown, but this building just looks so... confused.

Guess Drewlo is trying to do something different than it usually does. Perhaps they were looking through this thread.

Not a huge fan of the colours, but...well, it beats the crap of what is there now. And really, we need people populating the east end like this.

I was hoping for shovels THIS year, but I guess we need to wait another year. Really surprised though that move in is as early as 2020...
(02-07-2018, 10:10 PM)jamincan Wrote: I'm getting a little tired of this patchwork aesthetic that seems to be popular in a lot of new buildings around here. I'm thrilled to see some redevelopment further south of downtown, but this building just looks so... confused.

Not my favourite design, either, but not every building will be beautiful, and this is leaps and bounds better than anything these properties have seen for more than 50 years.
Can someone post a pic of the render, I couldn't find it

It’d be nice to see some 3 bedroom units in the uildings but still an overall great use of that block.
[Image: 2lko.jpg]
(02-08-2018, 07:14 PM)KevinL Wrote: [Image: 2lko.jpg]

Goddamn it.....
(02-09-2018, 02:56 AM)Archetype Wrote:
(02-08-2018, 07:14 PM)KevinL Wrote: [Image: 2lko.jpg]

Goddamn it.....

try to envision this city 10 years from now. it's going to look a lot more impressive than now.
Excuse my lack of knowledge of the labour market, but given the number of large projects currently underway or expected to start in the next 18 months, will there be enough labour of the right skills to keep all these projects on schedule?
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
(02-09-2018, 08:50 AM)Pheidippides Wrote: Excuse my lack of knowledge of the labour market, but given the number of large projects currently underway or expected to start in the next 18 months, will there be enough labour of the right skills to keep all these projects on schedule?

Yes. Specialized and trades construction people travel all over the place for projects/jobs... for ION construction we had workers from all over southern Ontario. Met a few from Windsor and area, etc.

Material choice will be critical to how this actually turns out looking. The image as is, not the prettiest. But the actual structure looks fantastic. Love that part.
(02-09-2018, 11:35 AM)Spokes Wrote: Material choice will be critical to how this actually turns out looking.  The image as is, not the prettiest.  But the actual structure looks fantastic.  Love that part.

What do you mean by 'actual' structure? the towers are just two generic slabs, they look like the student housing towers on King between Uni and Columbia.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »