Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Vertikal (471-481 King St E) | 23 & 19 fl | U/C
I used to live in this area, seems like a lot of projects get announced, then nothing happens for years!

As mentioned before, all the money for development is to the North side of Frederick /Benton. The South side will come once King from Uptown through Midtown and finally Downtown are filled in....
(10-17-2016, 09:41 PM)white_brian Wrote: As mentioned before, all the money for development is to the North side of Frederick /Benton. The South side will come once King from Uptown through Midtown and finally Downtown are filled in....

Say what?
City council is offering greater incentives to properties north of Frederick / Benton
(10-18-2016, 09:50 AM)white_brian Wrote: City council is offering greater incentives to properties north of Frederick / Benton

I thought the incentives extended down to Cedar and were extended last year to incorporate the Drewlo site.  Am I mistook?
You could be right, but I hadn't heard that they agreed to it. The last I recall was they would consider it. Anybody know more details?
(10-16-2016, 05:49 PM)rangersfan Wrote: No permit information has been taken out for the project.

Permits will be after the site plan approval, which surely is bound to have some items that need council approval.  So I think we'll hear about this well before the permits are issued.

I'm pretty confident that Drewlo does intend to build on this site, but they may not be in a hurry to do so.

Like what happened to the 2 developments that was suppose to start this fall on Scott and Weber streets?
It seemed like the previous occupants of the property were hurried out like things were able to get serious.
I have only been waiting for this for 40 years (literally, since 1977). But finally we may see some action: Drewlo has been issued demolition permits for the existing (and run-down) car dealership buildings on this property. This happened just a few weeks ago, on 20 January; hopefully we will see action in the next few months, and then the building permit application for the new construction.
Huzzah, progress!
Amazing. I remember talking on the phone with the Fusion Homes (previous owner) CEO and feeling extremely excited. Curious what Drewlo comes up with
I haven't been waiting since 1977 but I have been eagerly awaiting news since the property was purchased in Dec 2010 by Fusion.

Hope we see some details soon, although I have never seen a proposal or project website by Drewlo, usually the project is well under construction when we finally have an idea of what the project will look like.

Small update from The Record article on Charlie West, states have the preliminary plan for this site is two apartment buildings. This is a fairly large block and I really hope they utilize it well.
We can say that virtually anything different than the current state would be an improvement (which most scenarios would be true) but it would be nice to see something different than just the fallowfield Dr towers surrounding by parking lots here.

http://m.therecord.com/news-story/721592...-kitchener
I think assuming Fallowfield is the worst-case scenario. Drewlo has four buildings near Victoria Park, and all look quite reasonable (better than most of Northdale, to be sure), at least on the outside. I'm cautiously optimistic that they'll do something good here, too.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »