Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
168 King St S | 8 fl | U/C
Developer: Paramount Developers
Architect: Martin Simmons
Project: nine storey tower, commercial use at grade.
City of Waterloo Zoning Change Application

[Image: 262xrbq.jpg]

[Image: 21eyloz.jpg]

Love it. Good scale and good use of the space.

The area's getting built up nicely. (much to the dismay of all Catalina townhome residents)
It's 'OK' but I actually wonder if they considered going down one level for parking and having a larger building. The one parking lot next to the heritage homes/offices probably could be sold off for a lot more than what the 6 spots are worth. I feel that this was the minimal plan for intensification to be honest.
Seems pretty inoffensive ...
Does yncu have a new home?
I hate to see so much surface parking so close to King St. - and especially when it is steps away from an LRT stop.
(10-03-2018, 04:33 PM)Tony_Plow Wrote: I hate to see so much surface parking so close to King St. - and especially when it is steps away from an LRT stop.

And yet in some ways so little.

Half the property has 28 parking spaces. The other half has 7 parking spaces and 42 units. So ignoring the awkward shape of the property, twice as many units would fit if the space wasn’t occupied by parking.

It’s too bad they couldn’t get one more house on George. The property shape is quite awkward.

Even with the property as it is, it really would be much nicer if the building came closer to the adjacent house, instead of being separated by a parking lot. A low rise portion transitioning between the taller building at King and the next door house would leave less of a gap in the street frontage. Not sure how the numbers would work out of course.

It is too bad to see so much surface parking; especially when there is lots of unused surface parking, especially in the evening, across George street at the church and law office (or even Allen Square) or across King at the funeral home. I wonder if they can talk the city in to even lower parking requirements than they are asking for if they negotiate a shared parking agreement.

Isn't that small parking lot the same space the City envisions as a connection to the potential new park on the pumping station property?
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
(10-03-2018, 11:00 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: It is too bad to see so much surface parking; especially when there is lots of unused surface parking, especially in the evening, across George street at the church and law office (or even Allen Square) or across King at the funeral home. I wonder if they can talk the city in to even lower parking requirements than they are asking for if they negotiate a shared parking agreement.

Good point. I wonder how much parking they would supply if there were no parking requirement in the zoning code?
(10-03-2018, 04:10 PM)Spokes Wrote: Does yncu have a new home?

The bottom floor is designated as office space so maybe they're going to move in there once it's completed?
I heard from a little birdie that the design of this one has changed significantly and does not look anything like the one shown here.
Any hints at what that means?
(10-04-2018, 09:51 AM)Spokes Wrote: Any hints at what that means?

Oh, I think same 'form' overall, just different finishes/colours/details.

Is the little side parking lot (random) the George street property?
(10-03-2018, 04:50 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: Half the property has 28 parking spaces. The other half has 7 parking spaces and 42 units. So ignoring the awkward shape of the property, twice as many units would fit if the space wasn’t occupied by parking.

And if the city did not limit density by using low FAR maximums.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »