Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bike Share in Waterloo Region
Quote:the one at the Aud

Wow, missed that one at first! It is strange.

(05-14-2019, 07:42 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(05-14-2019, 06:04 PM)KevinL Wrote: So Dropbike has launched, though a bit quietly; perhaps because there's not a huge number of bikes available yet. Their hub areas, called 'havens', are also sparse just now; the ones I could find are the Kitchener Market, Queen Ion, and Waterloo city hall. Presumably more are to come.

There's also a defined usage boundary, but that's quite generous; it includes most of central Kitchener and Waterloo from just shy of the Parkway, up to Northfield.

I actually found their boundary extremely restrictive. It doesn't even include all their havens--the one at the Aud is outside it.

I feel the same. I was excited about using the service to commute, but the boundary makes that impossible.
timc was good enough to post a map of the service area in the other thread.

It is extremely restrictive. You can bike the width of the area in about fifteen minutes. A number of logical destinations with good bus service like the stores at Fischer-Hallman/Highland or Stanley Park Mall.
(05-17-2019, 07:10 AM)MidTowner Wrote: timc was good enough to post a map of the service area in the other thread.

It is extremely restrictive. You can bike the width of the area in about fifteen minutes. A number of logical destinations with good bus service like the stores at Fischer-Hallman/Highland or Stanley Park Mall.

I hate the River and Ottawa intersection when in a car. I couldn't imagine trying to navigate by bike but there are good trail options to get to the mall.
(05-17-2019, 08:58 AM)Chris Wrote:
(05-17-2019, 07:10 AM)MidTowner Wrote: timc was good enough to post a map of the service area in the other thread.

I hate the River and Ottawa intersection when in a car. I couldn't imagine trying to navigate by bike but there are good trail options to get to the mall.

We had an update from Dropmobility last week, they told us the boundary would be expanded as they roll out new havens.  I am still not sure why they chose to restrict it so to start.
FYI - started a new thread for updates to micromobility (bikeshare, e-scooters, etc.) here:

https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/...p?tid=1530
Not really about sidewalks and bike lanes but it is about Montreal snow removal:

https://www.canadiangeographic.ca/articl...ing-winter

(01-27-2021, 06:12 PM)plam Wrote: Not really about sidewalks and bike lanes but it is about Montreal snow removal:

I grew up in a small suburban town on Montreal's South Shore in the '50s and 60's. After a snow storm, the sidewalk on at least one side of the road would be plowed within a day. The mounds of snow plowed to the curb would be thrown with a snowblower onto the front yards of the houses on the street within a week.
(01-27-2021, 07:50 PM)Acitta Wrote:
(01-27-2021, 06:12 PM)plam Wrote: Not really about sidewalks and bike lanes but it is about Montreal snow removal:

I grew up in a small suburban town on Montreal's South Shore in the '50s and 60's. After a snow storm, the sidewalk on at least one side of the road would be plowed within a day. The mounds of snow plowed to the curb would be thrown with a snowblower onto the front yards of the houses on the street within a week.

That is very interesting, in the house I lived in, the city did occasionally need to remove snow from the roadway (or felt they did, I liked having narrower roads mind you), but they always went to the expense of trucking it away. Just blowing it into yards would be much cheaper, although I imagine they would get a lot of complaints.

There's a tie back here to people who claim to be fiscally conservative not being so...but you guys can fill in the blanks.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »