Welcome Guest!
WIn order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lime Scooter Share
When I look on the app, it looks like there's a huge red area around a central "not red" area (the pilot area?). But then outside of the red area it's normal again. Tapping on the red area says it's just a no parking zone... but can you ride there? Like basically you can just ride wherever, but you're supposed to park them back inside the not-red area (but not outside the red area)?

At what point does it ask for your credit card info? Just feel like that's something I'd rather punch in now than awkwardly doing while standing there trying to turn it on to go for a ride.
For daily ion construction updates, photos and general urban rail news, follow me on twitter! @Canardiain
(10-06-2018, 10:42 AM)Canard Wrote: When I look on the app, it looks like there's a huge red area around a central "not red" area (the pilot area?).  But then outside of the red area it's normal again.  Tapping on the red area says it's just a no parking zone... but can you ride there?  Like basically you can just ride wherever, but you're supposed to park them back inside the not-red area (but not outside the red area)?

At what point does it ask for your credit card info?  Just feel like that's something I'd rather punch in now than awkwardly doing while standing there trying to turn it on to go for a ride.

They still appear to be playing with the data. The red area used to be grey.  You aren't supposed to ride outside the pilot either.

As for credit info it is indeed confusing.  You need to add money to your "wallet" to use them. Kinda weird to use stored value here I thought .
Ah, it was actually super easy! It use some ApplePay so all I had to do was press my thumb on them fingerprint scanner. 

Wish there was a way to rent more than one though, like SoBi - my husband has a BlackBerry Classic, so he couldn’t try one (not that he wanted to).
For daily ion construction updates, photos and general urban rail news, follow me on twitter! @Canardiain
https://www.waterloo.ca/en/living/electr...-pilot.asp

https://www.waterloo.ca/en/contentresour...l_AODA.pdf
  • Sounds like Lime will be responsible for the charging, and will pick up the scooters every day at 9pm, and return them for use by 7am the next morning.
  • The pilot runs through November, then starts up again next spring and runs through 2019.
  • The City of Waterloo only shared the cost of the signage installed (<$10k), and the rest of the costs are all borne by Lime.
  • All the data earned from the pilot goes to the City
  • 100 scooters this fall, and a max. of 150 next year.
If I understand correctly, the scooters are to be used only on the one specific route, not other areas? How will LIME enforce this?
(10-06-2018, 02:19 PM)tomh009 Wrote: If I understand correctly, the scooters are to be used only on the one specific route, not other areas? How will LIME enforce this?

So far by slightly telling people. They could disable the scooters or fine your account but so far they've done very little to prevent people from taking them elsewhere. 

The signage is pretty limited even.
We get it Dan, you hate it. Smile
Why are they limiting where you can take them?
It's a pilot project
I believe another reason why Lime may have had an advantage over any bikeshare that wanted to launch is that the scooters used by Lime are currently not covered by any provincial regulations whereas bikes (and cars) are. The province is in a "wait and see" position while the province get things organized. Presumably a pogo stick share would be just as easy to launch.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Possibly Related Threads...
  Bike Share in Waterloo Region highlander 73 16,082 09-18-2018, 10:15 PM
Last Post: clasher