Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Waterloo Region Council Election Discussion
(10-14-2018, 06:42 AM)Spokes Wrote: What's everyone's take on the four Kitchener seats?  A couple of them are slam dunks for me, but I'm not sure after that.  There's a couple hard No's, but a lot of uncertainty in the middle.

I am for change. A lot of these names (region wide) have been there an awfully long time. Galloway in particular needs to retire. 

I am a little surprised that as the chair of the police board he renewed the Chief's contract (which had 1 year left) in the middle of an election cycle. Certainly that decision could have went to the next board to decide. What really surprises me is there is no noise about it. Maybe this is normal and I live under a rock? I don't know...

(10-14-2018, 07:30 AM)jgsz Wrote:
(10-14-2018, 06:42 AM)Spokes Wrote: What's everyone's take on the four Kitchener seats?  A couple of them are slam dunks for me, but I'm not sure after that.  There's a couple hard No's, but a lot of uncertainty in the middle.

I will be voting for:

Elizabeth Clark
Tom Galloway
Ted Martin
Fauzia Mazhar 

For me, the first two names were easy.  Ted Martin was just so-so.  However, Fauzia Mazhar was very difficult.  But she has many qualities I admire.  She probably has more courage than all the other candidates put together.  And she's progressive on issues that matter to me.
I am not sure where you got all your information about Fauzia. All I got from her was a pamplet that said little more than we need change. She never once spoke about how she intends to advocate for change. It to be perfunctory
(10-14-2018, 09:08 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote:
(10-14-2018, 07:30 AM)jgsz Wrote: I will be voting for:

Elizabeth Clark
Tom Galloway
Ted Martin
Fauzia Mazhar 

For me, the first two names were easy.  Ted Martin was just so-so.  However, Fauzia Mazhar was very difficult.  But she has many qualities I admire.  She probably has more courage than all the other candidates put together.  And she's progressive on issues that matter to me.
I am not sure where you got all your information about Fauzia. All I got from her was a pamplet that said little more than we need change. She never once spoke about how she intends to advocate for change. It to be perfunctory

I think she did okay in the televised debate. 

Luisa D'Amato wrote an opinion piece on her yesterday.  It takes courage to run for council while wearing a hijab

She was one of the  contributors and signatory to an Anti-Homophobia statement from Imams and Muslim leaders.  

Violence against women and sexual minorities is important to me.  We can have a wonderful city but if some members of our community don't feel safe then that becomes an issue.  During the televised debate she was the only one to mention this kind of violence.  Being aware of this issue is the first step in doing something about it. 
Tritag has a comprehensive survey they sent to all candidates (and not just Regional Council) I have found it incredibly enlightening, particularly the funding for cycling infrastructure pledge.

These answers will weigh heavily in my decision making:

http://tritag.ca/election2018/
Redman is doing an AMA (Ask Me Anything) on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/waterloo/commen..._chair_of/
(10-14-2018, 07:31 AM)Drake Wrote:

I am for change. A lot of these names (region wide) have been there an awfully long time. Galloway in particular needs to retire. 

I am a little surprised that as the chair of the police board he renewed the Chief's contract (which had 1 year left) in the middle of an election cycle. Certainly that decision could have went to the next board to decide. What really surprises me is there is no noise about it. Maybe this is normal and I live under a rock? I don't know...

It's entirely normal. It can take over a year to find a suitable police chief.
(10-14-2018, 11:08 PM)trainspotter139 Wrote:
(10-14-2018, 07:31 AM)Drake Wrote: I am for change. A lot of these names (region wide) have been there an awfully long time. Galloway in particular needs to retire. 

It's entirely normal. It can take over a year to find a suitable police chief.and whatever contract was being considered was jus

I have not seen any reasonable or viable concerns to change the leadership. What could have been more damaging, in my opinion, was to pretend that the Region wasn't interested in renewing.

An IVR poll for Regional Chair was conducted (ethics passed, +/- 4.25% 19 times out of 20), and the numbers are in:
https://threehundredthirtyeight.com/kare...chair-race

I will still vote, but numbers this drastic are interesting, especially given the relatively infirm stances taken by the leading candidate. Thankfully, Aissa seems unlikely to win, but has the starkest polling ratio along gender lines, though not too much of a swing for intentions based on age/municipality.
Agree with everything you say.

At least I feel no risk in voting for my preferred candidate now.

But honestly so disappointing that such equivocating, vague, and non-committal statements are convincing to so many people.

Also that list of priorities...so disappointing.

I think we need some form of real suffering for each generation, so each generation can see why taxes are worth paying, something which isn't blamed on taxes.
Interesting that she's so far ahead. I thought she'd win but it would be close.

Also, like was said, the list of issues that matter. Sad. So self centered.
Indeed. Interesting though, looking at the breakdown by gender, the top priority "low taxes" is only true among men. Among women, it's only third.
(10-18-2018, 04:15 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Indeed.  Interesting though, looking at the breakdown by gender, the top priority "low taxes" is only true among men.  Among women, it's only third.

I do find it encouraging that support for affordable housing and social services is quite high, the former statistically tied with low taxes.
(10-21-2018, 10:26 AM)tomh009 Wrote:
(10-18-2018, 04:15 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Indeed.  Interesting though, looking at the breakdown by gender, the top priority "low taxes" is only true among men.  Among women, it's only third.

I do find it encouraging that support for affordable housing and social services is quite high, the former statistically tied with low taxes.

Yes, although I don't necessarily trust that. A common refrain I hear is that low taxes are the path to affordability.

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »