Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Glove Box | 6 fl | U/C
(11-02-2018, 12:30 PM)Momo26 Wrote: That's a possibility. Beyond that immediate vicinity, I do not think we can expect development to continue down Victoria towards Westmount. Is Garment likely to be the southernmost development on Victoria?

Fixed that for you. Wink

Hahah thanks!
(11-02-2018, 12:30 PM)Momo26 Wrote: That's a possibility. Beyond that immediate vicinity, I do not think we can expect development to continue down Victoria towards Westmount. Is Garment likely to be the Northmost development on Victoria?

I think Park might be the border - that's where the Mixed Use zoning ends.
Wouldn't it be more likely that the 'mid-town' between Union and (eventual) Sixo get filled in first? That's gotta be 10 - 15 years worth of development if it goes down that way.

Likewise it seems that there is traction the other way across from Cameron Heights. What a time to be a K-W resident. Seemed like nothing for about 15 years then bam - the suburbs exploded and now in the past 3 years, downtown and uptown!
Honestly I'd rank it Victoria then Midtown then Cameron

Victoria is near both the future hub and Communitech. It wins
On the other hand, there is much greater infill opportunity near Cameron Heights: both Charles and King have many properties either vacant or occupied by crumbling light-industrial buildings. And they are mostly zoned MU-2 or MU-3, allowing relatively tall buildings with an FAR of 4.0 without needing council approval. It'll be a different profile of buildings, but I do believe that will see much construction in the 2020s.
My dad used to work on the third floor at Huck Glove. I used to go upstairs after school to wait for his shift to end so I could get I ride home. He wouldn't believe the changes, but would be quite impressed with what will be done to that site. I cannot believe it either. I used to live on Theresa Street as I kid in the early 70's, unbelievable the changes, but I do like how the cities are progressing, it is indeed very exciting times being a resident of KW!

(11-02-2018, 10:29 PM)kwlifer Wrote: My dad used to work on the third floor at Huck Glove. I used to go upstairs after school to wait for his shift to end so I could get I ride home.  He wouldn't believe the changes, but would be quite impressed with what will be done to that site. I cannot believe it either. I used to live on Theresa Street as I kid in the early 70's, unbelievable the changes, but I do like how the cities are progressing, it is indeed very exciting times being a resident of KW!

My cousin visited earlier this summer, he currently lives in Nobleton. He lived in Kitchener during some of his teenage years. I drove him through Kitchener-Waterloo and we parked to eat at LaCuina. My aunt, his mom, who passed away earlier this year, worked at Kaufman. He was awe struck and blown away by the lofts now; literally stopped in his tracks just to stare and reminisce. It was in that moment I realized the value of maintaining the original facade of a building. And what a beautiful building it is.
100% agree.
I think this project looks good, but Victoria Street itself continues to be terrible - this location is on a nearly 400m stretch that ought to be urban, but which has no safe crossings of a busy 4 lane road. And no street trees, cycling infrastructure, nor a boulevard strip on this side of it.
(11-07-2018, 12:24 AM)mpd618 Wrote: I think this project looks good, but Victoria Street itself continues to be terrible - this location is on a nearly 400m stretch that ought to be urban, but which has no safe crossings of a busy 4 lane road. And no street trees, cycling infrastructure, nor a boulevard strip on this side of it.

And will remain so for the foreseeable future. It's funny, the moving forward transportation plan has both "widen Victoria" and "road diet" Victoria on the long term plan.  If you ask the transportation planners they say both plans seem to make sense from a transportation standpoint (one makes vastly more sense from a city building standpoint, but that's irrelevant to the region).  They also say they're quite certain widening is what will happen.

Sadly, there's been little push back on this.
Hopefully Victoria will be widened for cycling infrastructure.
(11-07-2018, 01:14 AM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(11-07-2018, 12:24 AM)mpd618 Wrote: I think this project looks good, but Victoria Street itself continues to be terrible - this location is on a nearly 400m stretch that ought to be urban, but which has no safe crossings of a busy 4 lane road. And no street trees, cycling infrastructure, nor a boulevard strip on this side of it.

And will remain so for the foreseeable future. It's funny, the moving forward transportation plan has both "widen Victoria" and "road diet" Victoria on the long term plan.  If you ask the transportation planners they say both plans seem to make sense from a transportation standpoint (one makes vastly more sense from a city building standpoint, but that's irrelevant to the region).  They also say they're quite certain widening is what will happen.

Sadly, there's been little push back on this.

How are both things actual options when they completely contradict eachother?

Can development's like this help push for change?

(11-07-2018, 07:45 AM)rangersfan Wrote: Hopefully Victoria will be widened for cycling infrastructure.

But at what expense?  How do you widen it for cycling infrastructure?  You have to take space from somewhere.  Sidewalks?  Nope.  Road lanes?  They could, but then you have a massive bottleneck at Charles or around there.
(11-07-2018, 10:21 AM)Spokes Wrote:
(11-07-2018, 07:45 AM)rangersfan Wrote: Hopefully Victoria will be widened for cycling infrastructure.

But at what expense?  How do you widen it for cycling infrastructure?  You have to take space from somewhere.  Sidewalks?  Nope.  Road lanes?  They could, but then you have a massive bottleneck at Charles or around there.

That bottleneck exists at Park currently. It might be interesting to move the merge to one lane to the other side of King to Lancaster maybe and just have Victoria be one lane with great active transportation infrastructure through the entire downtown section.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »