Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Making Home at NinetySeven Victoria (83-97 Victoria St N) | 1-3 fl | Proposed
The Working Centre is proposing a mixed use project at 83 to 97 Victoria Street North. They are working with Perimeter Development and BNKC Architecture + Urban Design. Currently, 83 Victoria is their Community Dental Clinic which provides dental services to the homeless, 87-91 Victoria contain properties they use for various purposes (namely their Hospitality House) and 97 Victoria houses Psychiatric Outreach Project, St. John's Kitchen and A Second Look. They also own a small parcel on the opposite side of Heit Lane which is used for parking (though usually has people sleeping in tents there).

The project plans to add a 3rd floor to the 97 Victoria Street building to add 22 units of affordable housing. The 2nd floor will contain an additional 22 units of transitional housing for individuals transitioning from homelessness to having an apartment. 26% of rooms are to be wheelchair accessible. Rent prices will be entirely dependent on the resident's income level.

St. John's Kitchen will be housed in a new addition, specifically in a contemporary building fronting Heit Lane including a rooftop garden and patio on the building. The Hospitality House will remain in 87-91 Victoria but receive a redesign and upgrades to the existing building. A medical clinic, gym, bicycle storage, convenience store, a common room for music/film performances are planned and a central courtyard will be included in the centre of the project with benches, a fountain, trees and shade structures.

Zoned D6, the property zoning is applicable to the proposal. Construction is anticipated to begin December 2023 so all that remains is to acquire adequate funding.

[Image: AzOZOFU.jpg]

Additional images of the proposal:

[Image: Kql07aW.jpg]

[Image: dorMDDz.jpg]

[Image: VWUBJgY.jpg]

[Image: Qc68FAe.jpg]
I see they're not wasting any money trying to make it look good.
Super happy to see this. The Working Centre is awesome.
(11-30-2022, 12:08 PM)jwilliamson Wrote: I see they're not wasting any money trying to make it look good.

I'm sure the extra cost to look nicer is not a priority for them. They run on grants and donations.

https://donate.theworkingcentre.org/
Given their limited budget, the conceptual drawings look pretty good compared to some of the other projects that have been proposed from developers with presumably deeper pockets.
(11-30-2022, 02:56 PM)Chris Wrote:
(11-30-2022, 12:08 PM)jwilliamson Wrote: I see they're not wasting any money trying to make it look good.

I'm sure the extra cost to look nicer is not a priority for them. They run on grants and donations.

I have a breakdown of major contributions I can post later. A few generous organisations have donated significant chunks of money towards this which will help. They are of course still accepting donations from the general public to help as well through the link you posted.

(12-06-2022, 04:42 PM)ac3r Wrote:
(11-30-2022, 02:56 PM)Chris Wrote: I'm sure the extra cost to look nicer is not a priority for them. They run on grants and donations.

I have a breakdown of major contributions I can post later. A few generous organisations have donated significant chunks of money towards this which will help. They are of course still accepting donations from the general public to help as well through the link you posted.

I forgot to update this. I've now lost the file I had but off the top of my head I recall Perimeter Development has donated 1 million dollars already, Vidyard has also contributed a significant amount and there are many other donors (most of which have chosen not to be named).
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »