Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
St. Jacobs Market rebuild
(05-22-2015, 09:53 AM)timio Wrote:
(05-22-2015, 09:33 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Will the temporary structure be taken down or left in place when the new building opens?  It works pretty well.

It'll be left up and some of the outdoor vendors will be offered a space should they be interested, opening up outdoor slots for more vendors.

Hopefully not more cheap flea market vendor types ... t-shirts, belts, wallets and crap like now found at cheaper rent outdoor stalls. There are lots of these inside as it is. Would be nice if it were more food vendor sellers than junk sellers. 

Finally it is getting very hard to get in, park and get out of the whole market site on a weekend market if you go after 8:00 a.m.

(05-23-2015, 07:28 PM)MacBerry Wrote: Finally it is getting very hard to get in, park and get out of the whole market site on a weekend market if you go after 8:00 a.m.

Would it be absurd to suggest that maybe, possibly, the St. Jacobs market should charge for parking?
and charging for parking would help in what way? There is no alternate method to get there. Charging for parking works when alternatives are provided. There are none in this case.
How about a shuttle service from the Wal-Mart parking lot? It's not heavily used, and Wal-Mart might gain some business from those visitors, too.
(05-24-2015, 05:49 AM)BuildingScout Wrote: and charging for parking would help in what way? There is no alternate method to get there. Charging for parking works when alternatives are provided. There are none in this case.

Well, there is the #21 bus. Not the easiest option, though, especially if you're purchasing large quantities.
(05-24-2015, 05:49 AM)BuildingScout Wrote: and charging for parking would help in what way? There is no alternate method to get there. Charging for parking works when alternatives are provided. There are none in this case.

Route 21.
(05-24-2015, 03:09 PM)mpd618 Wrote:

Route 21.

How many of the market patrons are coming from either Conestoga Mall or Elmira?  Or do we realistically expect that people would park Conestoga Mall, pay for a bus (in two directions) that runs every 30-40 minutes, just to avoid paying for parking?  The parking would need to cost $10+ in order to get people to even consider that as an alternative, I think.

Just to be clear, I'm strongly in favour of moving people off cars and into biking/public transit. But we have to be smart about it. Things like charging for parking in either of the markets just irritate patrons for no good reason. For starters one is less likely to take the bus when purchasing a week worth's of groceries to begin with.

The LRT, increased density and urban grocery stores are good ways to make people forgo their cars. Higher parking fees in St. Jacobs would only enrich the market owner and help no one else.
(05-24-2015, 07:16 PM)BuildingScout Wrote: Just to be clear, I'm strongly in favour of moving people of cars and into biking/public transit. But we have to be smart about it. Things like charging for parking in either of the markets just irritate patrons for no good reason. For starters one is less likely to take the bus when purchasing a week worth's of groceries to begin with.

The LRT, increased density and urban grocery stores are good ways to make people forego their cars. Higher parking fees in St. Jacobs only enrich the market owner and help no one else.

I agree 100%.  There has to be a viable alternative if we want people to forgo driving.
After reading "the high cost of free parking" I started thinking a lot about charging (minimal amounts) for parking, but I agree, it just doesn't make sense here. Particularly after the tragedy of the market burning down, lets not deter people from visiting.
(05-25-2015, 07:03 AM)Spokes Wrote: After reading "the high cost of free parking" I started thinking a lot about charging (minimal amounts) for parking, but I agree, it just doesn't make sense here.  Particularly after the tragedy of the market burning down, lets not deter people from visiting.

The Ottawa parking minimum plan that I think mboos posted to Twitter (they are probably going to propose getting rid of them) looks like it'll propose eliminating them only for central areas and places near transit. So it would not apply to, for instance, St. Jacob's.

I wouldn't be against charging for parking at shopping centers, but that never happens and it's private land.
I have a suspicion that a lot of the people coming to the St.Jacobs Market are from outside of the Region so it seems unlikely that charging for parking will somehow change things around there. The whole area seems to be built around the place being a huge tourist draw with the outlet malls and the quaint village setting up the road.
(05-25-2015, 10:42 AM)clasher Wrote: I have a suspicion that a lot of the people coming to the St.Jacobs Market are from outside of the Region so it seems unlikely that charging for parking will somehow change things around there. The whole area seems to be built around the place being a huge tourist draw with the outlet malls and the quaint village setting up the road.

That is consistent with my observation the one time I did go to the market. But I don't know for sure. People from far away are more noticeable.

A high proportion of shoppers from from outside the Region so expecting them to transfer at Conestoga Mall to a shuttle might be difficult. All the transportation puzzle pieces need to fit together and I don't see any easy solutions.

Next year will also be an interesting test for the area as the stretch of King Street in St. Jacobs from south of the train tracks to the top of the hill north of the Conestoga River will be reserviced.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »