Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Waterloo Region Wish List 2019
(12-21-2018, 05:59 AM)tomh009 Wrote:
(12-20-2018, 10:30 AM)robdrimmie Wrote: 1. A significant affordable housing project with a large number of units, good proximity to transit
2. Excellent first year for ION - high ridership, no accidents, just good things
3. A real plan for clear sidewalks
4. No cyclist or pedestrian deaths from motor vehicles. Since that won't happen, some commitment to vision zero or at least acknowledgment that the problem starts with designs

I like Rob's list. Not only are these good things, they are achievable, too.
I do too. I'd change number 1 slightly to a more general desire for more housing in general (close to transit) with a focus on affordability.

(12-21-2018, 12:46 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: For protected to mean protected when it comes to facilities for any vulnerable road user.
For neighbourhoods wanting traffic calming to embrace trail priority speed tables for the Spur Line, Iron Horse, and other trail or school route crossings.
For us to realize that nodes and corridors development isn't appropriate when "single family" and "1- or 2-storey" zoning limits apply everywhere else.
For us to realize that heritage, neighbourhood character, and stable are not reasons to prevent change.
For us to realize that all types of affordable housing are important and need attention, and that segregating people by income is no kind of way to act.
For us to realize that housing the homeless is cheaper than any other course of action.
For us to realize that to bring balance to housing and transportation choices, by simple math, we must disproportionately increase our focus on underserved options when compared to overserved ones.

Interesting list in that it seems to really focus on people's thinking changing rather than tangible projects or specific actions. Do we need people's thinking to change on these issues before we see any real, tangible results or can these types of projects, done well, change people's thinking about the broader issues? (I suspect it's a bit of both).
(12-23-2018, 09:37 AM)dtkmelissa Wrote:
(12-23-2018, 07:56 AM)kitborn Wrote: I just heard the broadcast and was impressed with Justin's articulation. Thanks for being a good spokesperson.

Yes, a good "Spokes"person indeed Smile

I see what you did there Wink

Thanks for that though!  I didn't have much notice so I was definitely pleased I didn't sound like an idiot hah.
(12-23-2018, 09:42 AM)dtkmelissa Wrote:
(12-21-2018, 12:46 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: For protected to mean protected when it comes to facilities for any vulnerable road user.
For neighbourhoods wanting traffic calming to embrace trail priority speed tables for the Spur Line, Iron Horse, and other trail or school route crossings.
For us to realize that nodes and corridors development isn't appropriate when "single family" and "1- or 2-storey" zoning limits apply everywhere else.
For us to realize that heritage, neighbourhood character, and stable are not reasons to prevent change.
For us to realize that all types of affordable housing are important and need attention, and that segregating people by income is no kind of way to act.
For us to realize that housing the homeless is cheaper than any other course of action.
For us to realize that to bring balance to housing and transportation choices, by simple math, we must disproportionately increase our focus on underserved options when compared to overserved ones.

Interesting list in that it seems to really focus on people's thinking changing rather than tangible projects or specific actions. Do we need people's thinking to change on these issues before we see any real, tangible results or can these types of projects, done well, change people's thinking about the broader issues? (I suspect it's a bit of both).

I think it's a bit of both too.  Definitely a chicken/egg scenario.
I got a message about the 570News interview and realized the link only linked to the general show's page, not the day in particular.

Here's the right link. https://www.570news.com/2018/12/21/frida...st-2018-2/
Late to the party....

1) Increased service at CYKF. [Self-serving wish]
2) A great start to iON.
3) All Day / Two Way GO Trains. [Or maybe even a few two way trains to accommodate sporting events / concerts in Toronto.
4) Funding announcement for Stage 2.
5) Continued intensification down/uptown

Coke
Better late than never!

I'd really like to see YKF become a viable alternative to Pearson. Although I don't know what it would take to make that happen. I don't think it's one single thing

1. A stop to continued degradation of the already under-funded health care and emergency services.

https://www.kitchenerpost.ca/news-story/...-hospital/
https://www.therecord.com/news-story/913...-hospital/
https://www.kitchenerpost.ca/news-story/...ll-volume/

Not even looking for improvement to the services and hospitals. Just a stop to them from getting worse every year.
I totally dropped the ball on posting a WRWL 2020, but I digress.  

Did your wishes for 2019 come true?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »