Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Ophelia (242-262 Queen St S) | 11 fl | U/C
Significant work is underway now. They've got heavy equipment doing piles for the foundation, and I saw a couple concrete trucks this morning doing a small pour.

Was much excavation done? Concrete seems fast
(08-20-2019, 06:34 PM)Spokes Wrote: Was much excavation done?  Concrete seems fast

No excavation as far as I can see. I'm thinking they might do ground floor parking only, and have significantly fewer than 1 spot per unit. Given what they said about mid market they're probably trying to keep costs down, and excavation is expensive. Vive's owners also have a history of downtown projects with very little parking.

The drilling might also just be drilling for shoring in advance of excavation, I think Charlie West was similar in that they drilled a lot before digging.
(08-09-2019, 04:58 PM)taylortbb Wrote: They started demolition this week, they've been taking down the rear extensions from both houses. Definitely looks like they'll be ready to knock down One Roof as soon as it moves out.

One Roof has finally moved out, and demolition fencing is now up.

I hope they never get rid of that building in the background. I'm unsure if it's designated a heritage building, but it should be. That's a unique old high rise for this city.
(05-18-2020, 09:09 AM)ac3r Wrote: I hope they never get rid of that building in the background. I'm unsure if it's designated a heritage building, but it should be. That's a unique old high rise for this city.

That's the York apartment building.  Dating to the 1920s, I think and indeed unique in K-W.   There was an interesting article about it in the Record a few years ago.  Iirc, the apartments are failry large, with small kitchens.  The building has had a problem with its plaster since it was built (can't remember the details, but the plaster apparently degrades in ways that it shouldn't).
The apartments look quite nice:
https://www.gottarent.com/apartment/vaca...eid/39029/

And, yes, it has a heritage designation.

I've been a few of those apartments and they are indeed very beautiful.
(05-18-2020, 09:30 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(05-18-2020, 09:09 AM)ac3r Wrote: I hope they never get rid of that building in the background. I'm unsure if it's designated a heritage building, but it should be. That's a unique old high rise for this city.

That's the York apartment building.  Dating to the 1920s, I think and indeed unique in K-W.   There was an interesting article about it in the Record a few years ago.  Iirc, the apartments are failry large, with small kitchens.  The building has had a problem with its plaster since it was built (can't remember the details, but the plaster apparently degrades in ways that it shouldn't).

Very small kitchens! Everything else about them is nice. They all have very old electric fireplaces, but they're not hooked up.

These apartments seemed to be filled with more professionals and artists.
Kitchens were indeed small back then!
(05-18-2020, 01:52 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Kitchens were indeed small back then!

The old apartments (1930s? 1940s?) on Borden Ave, between Weber and East Ave also have very small kitchens.  Just the lifestyle of the times.
I'd never seen the inside of the units, thanks for posting.
Demolition already under way.

Bell not taking down the satellite dish?, lol
(05-21-2020, 08:50 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Demolition already under way.

Anybody know how old that building is? It has some stylistic elements of older buildings in the area but is clearly much newer. It always seems odd when a newer building is demolished but if the new construction needs the space I can see how it would make sense.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »