Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Ophelia (242-262 Queen St S) | 11 fl | U/C
I think this project will provide much needed mid range residential units, and the building looks nice.

The project as whole just looks awkward with the apartment squished in behind the houses.

I like it. If you get rid of some of the quaintness and originality of the area from the past, it makes the city look like so many others. The city has a lot of character from the turn of the last century. Let's keep as much as possible. Queen street is important because it had many prestigious addresses and would be admired for along time.
I'm not sure how I feel about the two houses. It just feels forced.

Are they connected to the building, or totally separate?
Is K-W really that short on land/empty lots/parking lots/non-century homes that can be demolished that we must wedge an entire apartment building the backyard of 2 houses? Would you honestly want to live in one of those houses with 50+ neighbors (on that side of the building alone) watching you go about your business?

As Spokes mentioned, it does kind of look forced. Either fully integrate the houses in a pseudo wrap around method or move on...the Esplanade Toronto has a commercial building (with Marche in it) that has enclosed an entire old bank building. Mind you, this is open concept commercial/retail (like 40 foot ceiling high commercial) so works better.
Are the houses in the front currently used for residential purposes, or is commercial an option? Keeping the houses is a better alternative than a hostile street wall of building, or a surface parking lot.
(01-18-2019, 09:56 AM)Spokes Wrote: I'm not sure how I feel about the two houses.  It just feels forced.

Unfortunately, the "renders" are too vague to tell.  I actually find the concept interesting, and the apartment building itself, to the extent one can tell, looks better than what was shown in the original renders, imho.  If it were up to me, the two houses would be given over to commercial/office space rather than apartments.
(01-18-2019, 10:57 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(01-18-2019, 09:56 AM)Spokes Wrote: I'm not sure how I feel about the two houses.  It just feels forced.

Unfortunately, the "renders" are too vague to tell.  I actually find the concept interesting, and the apartment building itself, to the extent one can tell, looks better than what was shown in the original renders, imho.  If it were up to me, the two houses would be given over to commercial/office space rather than apartments.
I attended several meetings about this development, and if my memory serves me correctly, the buildings are completely separate - no connection to the apartment in behind. And I believe they will each be duplex style units, 2 homes in each building.

(01-18-2019, 10:51 AM)nms Wrote: Are the houses in the front currently used for residential purposes, or is commercial an option? Keeping the houses is a better alternative than a hostile street wall of building, or a surface parking lot.

The 2 houses are currently vacant, and the third is oneroof which is currently operational. 254 Queen had been Bullas Travel but they have relocated and 262 was most recently McKechnie (I can't recall what they did).
(01-18-2019, 11:18 AM)dtkmelissa Wrote:
(01-18-2019, 10:51 AM)nms Wrote: Are the houses in the front currently used for residential purposes, or is commercial an option? Keeping the houses is a better alternative than a hostile street wall of building, or a surface parking lot.

The 2 houses are currently vacant, and the third is oneroof which is currently operational. 254 Queen had been Bullas Travel but they have relocated and 262 was most recently McKechnie (I can't recall what they did).

I don't think I was ever into the house when Bullas was there, but I have childhood memories of when it was Dr W. MacDonald's surgery (he and his family lived upstairs).  I wonder whether much of the original interior still exists?
(01-18-2019, 10:08 AM)Momo26 Wrote: Is K-W really that short on land/empty lots/parking lots/non-century homes that can be demolished that we must wedge an entire apartment building the backyard of 2 houses? Would you honestly want to live in one of those houses with 50+ neighbors (on that side of the building alone) watching you go about your business?

I can''t imagine anyone would "live" in them, but they'd be for commercial purposes if I had to guess.

(01-18-2019, 10:08 AM)Momo26 Wrote: As Spokes mentioned, it does kind of look forced. Either fully integrate the houses in a pseudo wrap around method or move on...the Esplanade Toronto has a commercial building (with Marche in it) that has enclosed an entire old bank building. Mind you, this is open concept commercial/retail (like 40 foot ceiling high commercial) so works better.

If the building really encorporated the houses I think I would be more on board with it.
(01-18-2019, 11:17 AM)dtkmelissa Wrote:
(01-18-2019, 10:57 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Unfortunately, the "renders" are too vague to tell.  I actually find the concept interesting, and the apartment building itself, to the extent one can tell, looks better than what was shown in the original renders, imho.  If it were up to me, the two houses would be given over to commercial/office space rather than apartments.
I attended several meetings about this development, and if my memory serves me correctly, the buildings are completely separate - no connection to the apartment in behind. And I believe they will each be duplex style units, 2 homes in each building.

If this is the case, this is nuts. (IMO) Like Momo28 said, that's not too ideal to live in.

I picture Ottawa's Centretown where a lot of old homes are converted to offices, stores or restaurants.  That would fit here.
(01-18-2019, 11:32 AM)Spokes Wrote:
(01-18-2019, 11:17 AM)dtkmelissa Wrote: I attended several meetings about this development, and if my memory serves me correctly, the buildings are completely separate - no connection to the apartment in behind. And I believe they will each be duplex style units, 2 homes in each building.

If this is the case, this is nuts. (IMO) Like Momo28 said, that's not too ideal to live in.

I think the goal is to provide as many residential units as possible. 

Looking at the shadows on the renders, I think Melissa may be right and the houses do not connect to the new building. But whether connected or not, there certainly is not going to be any back yard to those houses. But is it really much worse than a unit in the main building? I do expect that they'll find people happy to live in those, as long as the prices are right.
I think the 2 houses are great as long as commercial (a la Red House, The Yeti). Disagree with them being resdejtial.

(01-18-2019, 11:47 AM)tomh009 Wrote:
(01-18-2019, 11:32 AM)Spokes Wrote: If this is the case, this is nuts. (IMO) Like Momo28 said, that's not too ideal to live in.

I think the goal is to provide as many residential units as possible. 

Looking at the shadows on the renders, I think Melissa may be right and the houses do not connect to the new building. But whether connected or not, there certainly is not going to be any back yard to those houses. But is it really much worse than a unit in the main building? I do expect that they'll find people happy to live in those, as long as the prices are right.
You may be right Tom. There was a lot of discussion about whether they should be attached or not. At one point they were to be separate, even fenced in at the back but it left a vacant space between there and the main building which several people identified as a dark, unused space. They may have improved the plan since then.

Again, going by memory, I think the hope was that the duplex homes would be a bit more upscale, hoping to fetch a higher rental price to help cover some of the expenses associated with keeping the older homes.
(01-18-2019, 11:51 AM)GtwoK Wrote: I think the 2 houses are great as long as commercial (a la Red House, The Yeti). Disagree with them being resdejtial.

That was the first thing that came to mind
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »