Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Condo living in Waterloo Region
(11-05-2018, 02:32 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(11-05-2018, 12:30 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Typically condo fees cover most of the utilities as well as the building insurance, and you only need to pay for contents insurance.

And for water damage insurance, no?

There are various aspects to water damage insurance. I didn't opt for any, I think overland flooding was the only coverage I could have paid for, and given that I'm on the 11th floor and have no car in the garage, I figured that if I had overland flooding in my unit, insurance probably wouldn't matter.

(11-05-2018, 03:28 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(11-05-2018, 02:32 PM)panamaniac Wrote: And for water damage insurance, no?

There are various aspects to water damage insurance. I didn't opt for any, I think overland flooding was the only coverage I could have paid for, and given that I'm on the 11th floor and have no car in the garage, I figured that if I had overland flooding in my unit, insurance probably wouldn't matter.

I've never been clear on whether water damage to floors from leaking dishwasher/fridge/washing machine in your own unit or from an uninsured unit above is covered by contents insurance.
(11-05-2018, 02:09 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(11-05-2018, 01:19 PM)tomh009 Wrote: I did exactly the same thing. Yes, the condo fees are somewhat less than we were spending. And we were also spending time ourselves maintaining the house and property.

So much time.  This is the first fall in a long time I haven't spent many weekends cleaning up leaves, I'm so happy.

I had forgotten how many leaves trees drop. I got reminded of that when I was at my parents' house this weekend and helped them pick up leaves. To be honest I don't love the leaf blowers we use at my condo either, and there's a movement in Washington DC to use electric leaf blowers. But that's another issue.
(11-05-2018, 03:38 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(11-05-2018, 03:28 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: There are various aspects to water damage insurance. I didn't opt for any, I think overland flooding was the only coverage I could have paid for, and given that I'm on the 11th floor and have no car in the garage, I figured that if I had overland flooding in my unit, insurance probably wouldn't matter.

I've never been clear on whether water damage to floors from leaking dishwasher/fridge/washing machine in your own unit or from an uninsured unit above is covered by contents insurance.

At least in our building, it would be covered by the condo corporation's insurance.
I am not a fan of the huge hydro tower and corridor that runs across the parking lot. Similar situation at the apartment complex on Northfield at Davenport. 

I couldn’t imagine laying out a lot of money and having a parking lot / hydro corridor view from my balcony.
(11-05-2018, 05:59 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(11-05-2018, 03:38 PM)panamaniac Wrote: I've never been clear on whether water damage to floors from leaking dishwasher/fridge/washing machine in your own unit or from an uninsured unit above is covered by contents insurance.

At least in our building, it would be covered by the condo corporation's insurance.

A leak from your washing machine destroys your floors and the condo corp's insurance covers it?  I don't think so, or at least it didn't when I lived in the building.
(11-05-2018, 10:01 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(11-05-2018, 05:59 PM)tomh009 Wrote: At least in our building, it would be covered by the condo corporation's insurance.

A leak from your washing machine destroys your floors and the condo corp's insurance covers it?  I don't think so, or at least it didn't when I lived in the building.

It does, assuming the leak is from the unit above.

Question for group think: (not necessarily Station Park question)
if this should be a separate thread maybe an admin could move this and or create one if this is in the wrong place...

What built or being built condo building in Kitchener?, in Waterloo,? and in Cambridge? would be considered to be the most high end building to buy into?
(01-13-2019, 11:08 PM)MacBerry Wrote: Question for group think: (not necessarily Station Park question)
if this should be a separate thread maybe an admin could move this and or create one if this is in the wrong place...

What built or being built condo building in Kitchener?, in Waterloo,? and in Cambridge? would be considered to be the most high end building to buy into?

Arrow Lofts?  144 Park or 155 Caroline?
Hi rise mid or towns?
(01-13-2019, 11:08 PM)MacBerry Wrote: Question for group think: (not necessarily Station Park question)

That's a big question. And I really don't think it would be one of the usual suspects; though, as someone mentioned, Arrow Lofts.
Second part about your Q: "What built" -- can we have a cut-off year? For example, I believe the condo at Lancaster and Victoria was considered fairly high end. I also believe the condo at Westmount and Erb in Waterloo is fairly high end.
(01-14-2019, 01:55 AM)jeffster Wrote:

That's a big question. And I really don't think it would be one of the usual suspects; though, as someone mentioned, Arrow Lofts.
Second part about your Q: "What built" -- can we have a cut-off year? For example, I believe the condo at Lancaster and Victoria was considered fairly high end. I also believe the condo at Westmount and Erb in Waterloo is fairly high end.

It was, but electric heat and low ceilings would take it out of contention in today's context, istm.
Again, if we're including older buildings, potentially Waterpark Place

http://www.waterloocondominiums.ca/4-6-w...-place.php

And possibly some of the units at the end of Blue Springs Dr. seemed higher end.

(01-14-2019, 01:55 AM)jeffster Wrote:

Was wondering if there was a name address that people would think of when you said mid or high rise condo in Waterloo Region?

My input and thinking as a high rise in the 10 -15 years, would be Bauer Lofts which was built around 2005. Bauer Lofts seems to have kept up their building IMO.

Are there low rise condos that should be mentioned?
Well the Caroline condos were pitched as luxury residences... And the Circa 1877 does appear to be touched as a boutique condo with nice finishes, although it had aggressive and competitive pricing at release.

I don't know much about Arrow...I'm a Kitchener boy born and bread but the location Arrow doesn't scream high end or affluent...yet...thus I cannot say.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »