Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PanoTowns | 3fl | U/C
When I see towns, I think "density"! Then I see a huge parking lot, seemingly dwarfing the footprint of the buildings. What does the actual density then become, and how does it compare to SFHs or duplexed homes?

My mom lives near there and I've ridden out from downtown to visit many times, it's not that bad... I've never had an issue crossing the highway on Lancaster coming either way despite going over it a hundred times or more. There are some ways to stretch the hills out and get up to Lexington where I prefer to cross the expressway, even though it doubles the ride (a good thing in my books) it's a nicer ride.

Seems like route 6 is a good way to get downtown or up to Conestoga Mall or the 202 on university. The 5 also goes down near there too? I don't use the bus anymore but it seems alright to me...
(02-01-2019, 11:09 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: When I see towns, I think "density"! Then I see a huge parking lot, seemingly dwarfing the footprint of the buildings. What does the actual density then become, and how does it compare to SFHs or duplexed homes?

I cant imagine it's much denser, if at all, than single family homes.  The main benefit is that each of these units doesn't require street frontage
(02-01-2019, 03:13 PM)Spokes Wrote:
(02-01-2019, 11:09 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: When I see towns, I think "density"! Then I see a huge parking lot, seemingly dwarfing the footprint of the buildings. What does the actual density then become, and how does it compare to SFHs or duplexed homes?

I cant imagine it's much denser, if at all, than single family homes.  The main benefit is that each of these units doesn't require street frontage

Are you sure?  Not requiring street frontage increases density because you don't need the road.

But beyond that, you have less parking (because most SFHs have a garage) as well as far smaller back and front yards.  I suspect this is quite a bit denser than average SFH zones.

As for the bike route, yes, there are probably some back ways to cut out much of the unpleasant roads, but I've biked over the Lancaster bridge, it isn't he worst bridge, but I'll still take the bus instead of biking it, and a friend of mine who bikes to work, chooses to walk his bike on the sidewalk instead of riding over the bridge.

Obviously people's tolerances differ, but I think for the majority it will be a non-starter.
Hmm...just because I feel data is important, I did some measurements:

The site the development is going on is about 1.85 acres by Google Earth measurements, including the space for the park, and includes 30 units.

In a similar 1.85 acre higher density duplex development, I counted 22 units, not including any park, but including the road.

In a similar 1.85 acre typical suburban density single detached development, I counted 13 homes.

So its 33% denser than a duplex development, and more than twice the density of a more suburban development, and includes a park.

These are rough estimates based on Google Earth polygons, but I'd say that's a fairly big increase in density.

I do agree however, that parking still consumes a substantial portion of the development, and I also have no comparison for bedrooms or square footage of the units.
(02-01-2019, 03:42 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(02-01-2019, 03:13 PM)Spokes Wrote: I cant imagine it's much denser, if at all, than single family homes.  The main benefit is that each of these units doesn't require street frontage

Are you sure?  Not requiring street frontage increases density because you don't need the road.

But beyond that, you have less parking (because most SFHs have a garage) as well as far smaller back and front yards.  I suspect this is quite a bit denser than average SFH zones.

As for the bike route, yes, there are probably some back ways to cut out much of the unpleasant roads, but I've biked over the Lancaster bridge, it isn't he worst bridge, but I'll still take the bus instead of biking it, and a friend of mine who bikes to work, chooses to walk his bike on the sidewalk instead of riding over the bridge.

Obviously people's tolerances differ, but I think for the majority it will be a non-starter.

I just mean in this particular property, given the number of SFHs you could build along Bridge st, I think it would be less than the number of units included here.  I'm not saying the density is good, I just think it's more than a SFH situation.
A couple of workers were on site yesterday.

I didn't realize this had progressed so far. Thanks for posting.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »