Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Street Art
I know there has been a couple recent additions to street art in the region in the last year. But i can't help but wish that there were some bolder larger murals commissioned. I feel like these large murals add a unique character to a neighbourhood. see some examples of large murals in Toronto.

[attachment=6571]
[attachment=6572]
[attachment=6573]

Here are a few locations I would like to see large murals installed. all of these locations are Downtown. I pefer these locations because i am bias toward DT as i currently live close. I am sure there are some great locations outside of the core were murals commissioned. I guess my question for everyone is do you live large murals? if so do you think the region is doing enough to have these types of art pieces installed throughout Waterloo? If not what how could we encourage these types of initiatives? Where would you like to see a mural installed?

[attachment=6574]
[attachment=6575]
[attachment=6576]
[attachment=6577]
When I worked at Manulife I frequently lamented the lack of artwork on their building at 25 Water. Perhaps new tenants (or owners, if they sell) will push for something interesting. 

It's not quite a mural, but I really like the paint job done to this building on Kehl street:

And from a scale perspective, while mostly lower to the ground than your examples there's a ton of work on the walls at Lot42.

There's also this one on the Duke St. Parking Garage (picture taken today).

(11-21-2019, 04:14 PM)westwardloo Wrote: Here are a few locations I would like to see large murals installed. all of these locations are Downtown. I pefer these locations because i am bias toward DT as i currently live close. I am sure there are some great locations outside of the core were murals commissioned. I guess my question for everyone is do you live large murals? if so do you think the region is doing enough to have these types of art pieces installed throughout Waterloo? If not what how could we encourage these types of initiatives? Where would you like to see a mural installed?

One of these is getting a mural: 22 Frederick is being re-painted with a posthumous Barnett Newman. Unfortunately much less colourful than his more famous work:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voice_of_Fire
Lots of large murals in Europe. I think this one, from Bratislava, was my favourite of the ones I saw last summer.

There is a cool mural at Torrense on Stirling Ave S (Mill).

My only concern about murals is them becoming more like the one on the right....

Coke
Though the one of the left looks quite amazing!

It would be great to see more artwork on the sides of buildings. I can only imagine the cost as being quite expensive, even if being down by an amateur artist (I know of one, and some of her artwork would look good on a side of a building).

Second issue is maintaining the artwork. The old Pepsi painting on Victoria close to Garment St hasn't been maintained at all. Would be nice to see that brought back to life.
Obviously there is a line between advertisement and graffiti, and it could be debatable where these examples of street art fall into.  

The Dairy Queen on King had a wall that was painted and I believe it was considered graffiti and had to be removed.  Whereas DTK had a Coca-Cola Mural back in the 50's that was also pretty cool.
The one on the right is clearly a banner, which is not street art and I would prefer if the region banned all banner advertisements like Sao Paulo. Of course murals come at a cost, but they create a unique colourful streetscape. I know the Leonard Cohen mural in Montreal which is over 20 stories cost about $250,000. That is about the biggest the region could do. I feel like the cities and the region could set up a $1 million fund over 5 years, with a citizens group setting up a fundraising campaign to raise other capital. We could add 1 or 2 large murals throughout the region per year. Murals are only one aspect of Public art I would like to see the region invest in. Winnipeg is a city I would look to in terms of investments in the arts.   Do a quick google search they have a thriving art seen. They also started winter stations which is a great winter initiative the region should be looking to copy.
This thread seems to duplicate the existing "Public Art/Street Art" thread.
That iPhone mural is just like ... the North mural on King St W!

(12-16-2019, 03:07 AM)tomh009 Wrote: That iPhone mural is just like ... the North mural on King St W!
haha not sure if this is a joke, but i will say. I am actually fine with the North mural on King. There are distinct differences between those two. firstly, the Iphone one is literally a banner hanging from a wall, were as the North advertisement is actually a painted mural. Secondly, Apple is a multinational cooperation that does not need any help with name recognition and getting people aware of their product. They also employ very few low skilled/ low paying jobs in the region. North on the other hand is a local start-up that employees about 450 highly skilled/ high payed worker in the region and needs to find creative ways to have people aware of what their products are.
(12-16-2019, 12:57 PM)westwardloo Wrote:
(12-16-2019, 03:07 AM)tomh009 Wrote: That iPhone mural is just like ... the North mural on King St W!
haha not sure if this is a joke, but i will say. I am actually fine with the North mural on King. There are distinct differences between those two. firstly, the Iphone one is literally a banner hanging from a wall, were as the North advertisement is actually a painted mural. Secondly, Apple is a multinational cooperation that does not need any help with name recognition and getting people aware of their product. They also employ very few low skilled/ low paying jobs in the region. North on the other hand is a local start-up that employees about 450 highly skilled/ high payed worker in the region and needs to find creative ways to have people aware of what their products are.

Still?  I thought they were down to around half that.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »