Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cannabis shops in Waterloo Region
I'm kind of unclear on why we actually needed the lottery in the first place. The federal government tracks cannabis inventory, and at the end of December, total inventory of dried cannabis was over 134 tonnes, almost 19 times the actual sales. Meanwhile OCS is claiming LPs can't provide enough product and the PCs are talking about a "cannabis shortage".

https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/s...emand.html

The OCS was crushed by volume when it opened and I think that was a black mark for the government. I suspect that erring on the side of having too much stock was intentional. But they didn't generalize into availability or if they did they thought they solved it with the seven regions. I have to imagine someone inside said "what happens if all the stores are clustered" and someone else said "in four years it isn't going to matter, so just call it done".

If that is true I think the was a poor choice but probably not actually an incorrect one, y'know? Sometimes you gamble and if going deeper on the distribution math was going to prolong something with a deadline, a lot is going to get shoved through. If it's a distant deadline it escapes because "we'll fix it in our review cycles before release" and if it's a tight deadline it escapes because "this just isn't critical enough to fuss over".
(03-13-2019, 05:18 PM)robdrimmie Wrote: The OCS was crushed by volume when it opened and I think that was a black mark for the government. I suspect that erring on the side of having too much stock was intentional. But they didn't generalize into availability or if they did they thought they solved it with the seven regions. I have to imagine someone inside said "what happens if all the stores are clustered" and someone else said "in four years it isn't going to matter, so just call it done".

If that is true I think the was a poor choice but probably not actually an incorrect one, y'know? Sometimes you gamble and if going deeper on the distribution math was going to prolong something with a deadline, a lot is going to get shoved through. If it's a distant deadline it escapes because "we'll fix it in our review cycles before release" and if it's a tight deadline it escapes because "this just isn't critical enough to fuss over".

So you're saying acting without thinking and immediately cancelling all in progress plans isn't a good idea?  Say it isn't so!

The thing that bugs me the most is the ideologues who refuse to even acknowledge the problems Ford has.  Who then accuse me of loving Trudeau.
(03-13-2019, 05:24 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: So you're saying acting without thinking and immediately cancelling all in progress plans isn't a good idea?  Say it isn't so!

Now we're running like a business!
OCS was crushed by not having a solid order fulfillment system in place on legalization day in addition to the hundreds of thousands of initial orders. They can now fulfill orders immediately, but they still have chronic inventory problems for all the popular strains. LPs say they have plenty of inventory to sell and OCS just isn't purchasing enough, while OCS claims they can't get enough from LPs. The inventory OCS holds pales in comparison to LP storage.
(03-13-2019, 05:43 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote: OCS was crushed by not having a solid order fulfillment system in place on legalization day in addition to the hundreds of thousands of initial orders. They can now fulfill orders immediately, but they still have chronic inventory problems for all the popular strains. LPs say they have plenty of inventory to sell and OCS just isn't purchasing enough, while OCS claims they can't get enough from LPs. The inventory OCS holds pales in comparison to LP storage.

LPs?
Sorry, LP = Licensed Producer

The second cannabis lottery was held yesterday and Kitchener managed to get a store.  It will be located at 589 Fairway Road South.  Story here.
(08-21-2019, 11:30 AM)jgsz Wrote: The second cannabis lottery was held yesterday and Kitchener managed to get a store.  It will be located at 589 Fairway Road South.  Story here.

Downtown (and Waterloo) will continue to be served by the current, err, vendors.
(08-21-2019, 11:30 AM)jgsz Wrote: The second cannabis lottery was held yesterday and Kitchener managed to get a store.  It will be located at 589 Fairway Road South.  Story here.
Meanwhile, London is getting two more stores to add to their existing three.
(08-21-2019, 07:50 PM)Acitta Wrote:
Meanwhile, London is getting two more stores to add to their existing three.

To be fair, those shops need to serve Western .....  Smile
Due to some disqualifications in this round, a second Kitchener store will be getting a licence. It's set to be located at King and Ontario (the former Zoup unit).
(08-30-2019, 03:18 PM)KevinL Wrote: Due to some disqualifications in this round, a second Kitchener store will be getting a licence. It's set to be located at King and Ontario (the former Zoup unit).

That will be handy.

Woah! A downtown shop!

And nice to see that the Zoup space got a new tenant.
(03-13-2019, 04:50 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote: I'm kind of unclear on why we actually needed the lottery in the first place. The federal government tracks cannabis inventory, and at the end of December, total inventory of dried cannabis was over 134 tonnes, almost 19 times the actual sales. Meanwhile OCS is claiming LPs can't provide enough product and the PCs are talking about a "cannabis shortage".

https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/s...emand.html

The current figures show a finished goods inventory of about 50 tonnes, with a monthly total sales volume of about 10 tonnes, meaning that there is five months' worth of inventory available. Whether that's inventory of the popular strains is unknown, though.

What's amazing to me is that the unfinished goods inventory (dried but unpackaged leaf?) is at about 260 tonnes -- and going up at the rate of about 20 tonnes/month for the past few months at least.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »