Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Avalon Place Highway 7/8 Multi-Use Trail Crossing
(03-08-2024, 02:17 PM)SF22 Wrote:
(03-08-2024, 01:29 PM)cherrypark Wrote: Spoken like someone who has never needed to get N-S in Kitchener on anything other than a car or train... While I personally think making Westmount and Homer Watson highway crossings better was available and would have left funds for other uses, I can't emphasize how much that highway is a gash through the city if you are outside of vehicular travel.

I also don't think the key value of its use has anything to do with that dead mall.

I was considering applying for a job at the GRT facility on Strasburg a few years ago, and one of the reasons I didn't was because the transit to/from my home was not very feasible. But if the pedestrian bridge had been in, I could have taken the bus and gotten off at Stirling/Greenbrook, and had less than a kilometre to walk to get to work. And honestly, the more pedestrians we can potentially remove from the Ottawa St roundabouts, the better. I hate driving through them in a vehicle, I can't imagine what it's like to try and navigate them safely on foot. It's shocking that more people don't get hit through that stretch.
The #3 bus goes right by it.

Chandler Dr. 2024-03-08

I don't know what this structure is for. It doesn't seem to be on the engineering documents. It is separated from the ramp which goes to the east. There are stairs going to be installed on the west side of the ramp, so it doesn't look like it is something going to be attached to the bridge.

(03-08-2024, 07:42 PM)Acitta Wrote: I don't know what this structure is for. It doesn't seem to be on the engineering documents. It is separated from the ramp which goes to the east. There are stairs going to be installed on the west side of the ramp, so it doesn't look like it is something going to be attached to the bridge.

Instead of using the GRT parking lot to construct the bridge like is shown on the engineering plans they're doing it there which is why the one lane of Chandler is closed. They first built all that false work about a month ago, then two weeks ago they had it covered with tarps, presumably for the concrete deck to cure. So in the coming weeks the steel frame of the bridge should be going up.

When they were building the false work both ends were formed in such a way that it would sit in the notch on the abutments on both sides.
(03-08-2024, 09:39 PM)ZEBuilder Wrote:
(03-08-2024, 07:42 PM)Acitta Wrote: I don't know what this structure is for. It doesn't seem to be on the engineering documents. It is separated from the ramp which goes to the east. There are stairs going to be installed on the west side of the ramp, so it doesn't look like it is something going to be attached to the bridge.

Instead of using the GRT parking lot to construct the bridge like is shown on the engineering plans they're doing it there which is why the one lane of Chandler is closed. They first built all that false work about a month ago, then two weeks ago they had it covered with tarps, presumably for the concrete deck to cure. So in the coming weeks the steel frame of the bridge should be going up.

When they were building the false work both ends were formed in such a way that it would sit in the notch on the abutments on both sides.

That makes sense. I should have thought of that.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »