Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
I spotted instructions on how to open the doors on 501 this morning

Attached Files Image(s)

So how many people will press the sticker?
Probably a few. Pushing a button to open doors seems to be a complicated process.
I was at the CNE (Argo tickets meant free admission onto the grounds) on Friday. I had taken my car to the 407-ETR subway station, then the subway to Union Station, then the LRT to the CNE.

Anyway, I was amazed at how many pressed the "Stop Request" button. The LRT is stopping at all LRT stations regardless. Even for Union Station someone pressed the "Stop Request" button.

I do prefer the seat set-up to our Ion, it's a little different, and has a few more 'private seats' than our trains (as in, people not facing on another as much). Another difference, and I am not sure why this is true, but the TTC LRT is constantly honking a motorists. The Union LRT loop I don't believe shares the road anywhere, but obviously it crosses path quite a bit, and motorists can't seem to see the train. No accidents though, if the horn is going off constantly. I wonder if perhaps at intersections the Ion should start honking regardless, being that there are so many ignorant drivers on our roads.
(08-22-2019, 01:43 PM)jeffster Wrote: Anyway, I was amazed at how many pressed the "Stop Request" button. The LRT is stopping at all LRT stations regardless. Even for Union Station someone pressed the "Stop Request" button.

I do prefer the seat set-up to our Ion, it's a little different, and has a few more 'private seats' than our trains (as in, people not facing on another as much). 

TTC streetcars don't make all stops, even in the LRT-like section. I agree it's unnecessary to press at Union, but generally the stop buttons are required.

The TTC vehicles are narrower than ours and only have doors on one side, which I think is a big part of why the vehicles have a different seating layout. No doors makes it a lot easier to avoid seats facing each other.
(08-22-2019, 01:43 PM)jeffster Wrote: I was at the CNE (Argo tickets meant free admission onto the grounds) on Friday. I had taken my car to the 407-ETR subway station, then the subway to Union Station, then the LRT to the CNE.

Anyway, I was amazed at how many pressed the "Stop Request" button. The LRT is stopping at all LRT stations regardless. Even for Union Station someone pressed the "Stop Request" button.

I do prefer the seat set-up to our Ion, it's a little different, and has a few more 'private seats' than our trains (as in, people not facing on another as much).  Another difference, and I am not sure why this is true, but the TTC LRT is constantly honking a motorists. The Union LRT loop I don't believe shares the road anywhere, but obviously it crosses path quite a bit, and motorists can't seem to see the train. No accidents though, if the horn is going off constantly. I wonder if perhaps at intersections the Ion should start honking regardless, being that there are so many ignorant drivers on our roads.

As someone who lives near the LRT, I can attest that it honks more than enough, many times an hour I will hear it lay on the horn, and invariably I will look over and see someone turning in front of it.

The TTC streetcars also honk a great deal, somehow, drivers in Toronto have a very cavalier attitude to rights of way, I routinely see drivers on the streetcar tracks where not permitted, and stories of drivers ending up in the tunnel to union station were routine at some point.
The new paper schedule has been posted. It's... minimal?

https://www.grt.ca/en/schedules-maps/res...22-web.pdf

I actually really like it. It's super simple, but contains the information you need.

But ... weren't the trains supposed to run every 7.5 minutes at peak times?
Something about not being fully ready for that yet. ATC, etc. THere's a tweet linked from the FB group from Tom Galloway that gives more details.
(08-23-2019, 07:09 PM)KevinL Wrote: The new paper schedule has been posted. It's... minimal?

https://www.grt.ca/en/schedules-maps/res...22-web.pdf

I like it. Hopefully they can get their 7.5 minutes sooner than later.
I'm sitting here at block line due to a poorly timed connection (201 left just as I got off the train. They need to fix this) and noticed the light on the pole here was flashing. Anyone have an idea what this is for?

Attached Files Image(s)

(08-25-2019, 03:47 PM)bgb_ca Wrote: I'm sitting here at block line due to a poorly timed connection (201 left just as I got off the train. They need to fix this) and noticed the light on the pole here was flashing. Anyone have an idea what this is for?

If I remember the contract correctly, every station was supposed to have an orange flashing light to indicate snow clearing operations were in progress to LRV drivers. No idea why it would be on now though. 

The project agreement spells out these sorts of system specs in amazing detail, so if you're ever curious you can look them up.
(08-25-2019, 04:34 PM)taylortbb Wrote:
(08-25-2019, 03:47 PM)bgb_ca Wrote: I'm sitting here at block line due to a poorly timed connection (201 left just as I got off the train. They need to fix this) and noticed the light on the pole here was flashing. Anyone have an idea what this is for?

If I remember the contract correctly, every station was supposed to have an orange flashing light to indicate snow clearing operations were in progress to LRV drivers. No idea why it would be on now though. 

The project agreement spells out these sorts of system specs in amazing detail, so if you're ever curious you can look them up.

They could have modified the scope of the lights to indicate the presence of maintenance workers in general

This is near the intersection of Ottawa and Charles st, does anyone know why the LRT speed limit sign is facing this direction?

564 Charles St E
https://maps.app.goo.gl/5enshJrE2RoF8CPP8
They have reverse running speeds along the entire line in case the traveling direction is unavailable.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »