Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
panamaniac Wrote:There is no blame in the verb "to collide".

No, there's not, but both vehicles are operated by humans, and one or both of those humans are likely responsible. Using a passive verb suggests it's neither, or both.

During the service outage yesterday evening I was near Queen Station. I saw the 301R drive past and looked at the digital arrival time sign, which said a train was due in 3 minutes and 13 minutes. The 301R stop is on the other side of Borden, so several people went running. Is that lack of information on the digital signage typical, or was I more likely passing by at a time when service was being restored and maybe the bus and trains were running simultaneously for a bit?
Not sure what your situation was.

That said, did they not have an audible announcement about replacement buses running? That would be crucial for them to do...
(09-17-2019, 02:34 PM)KevinL Wrote: Not sure what your situation was.

That said, did they not have an audible announcement about replacement buses running? That would be crucial for them to do...

I can't say, I only paid attention to the digital signage as I was passing by.
(09-16-2019, 05:59 PM)Acitta Wrote: Pickup truck, Ion train collide in Kitchener

I was going to post yesterday about the LRT running in reverse again. Guess this answers my question.
(09-17-2019, 01:59 PM)robdrimmie Wrote: During the service outage yesterday evening I was near Queen Station. I saw the 301R drive past and looked at the digital arrival time sign, which said a train was due in 3 minutes and 13 minutes. The 301R stop is on the other side of Borden, so several people went running. Is that lack of information on the digital signage typical, or was I more likely passing by at a time when service was being restored and maybe the bus and trains were running simultaneously for a bit?

The few times I used the LRT, I've learned to ignore any visual or verbal messages, as they're both as useless as a tit on a chicken. It would be better for them simply not to give any information whatsoever, or simply say "we have no idea" and visually "????? -- We don't know, sorry, eh."
Teams of students with clipboards are out today at stations along the line. Maybe LRT ridership data is being collected for a group study?

Today I heard on the scanner about a vehicle(514?), control asked does your vehicle have ATP?, operator said yes and control said let's get your vehicle out on the track.

Maybe ATP will be enabled soon?
I went through the intersection of Charles and Stirling this morning around 8am. The traffic lights and LRT signals were out. It was pretty orderly and everyone seemed to let the LRV make the first move to get through the intersection.
the power went out which is what caused those lights to go out
How does the park and ride thing at the Fairview Station work? Can you park there all day? Do you need some sort of permit to display?
(10-03-2019, 10:34 AM)ac3r Wrote: How does the park and ride thing at the Fairview Station work? Can you park there all day? Do you need some sort of permit to display?

Yes, you can park all day. No permit required as far as I know. I think park and ride isn't that popular with our system, so any sort of permitting hasn't been required. The lot is apparently less than half full most days.
Its odd. A monthly pass is cheaper than parking downtown... I'm surprised more people don't do it.

Coke

You're right. If someone is coming from the 401 and parking downtown, they might save $40 or $50 (depending on the lot) by hopping on the train at Fairway, and probably not spend more than a few extra minutes.
(10-04-2019, 02:47 PM)MidTowner Wrote: You're right. If someone is coming from the 401 and parking downtown, they might save $40 or $50 (depending on the lot) by hopping on the train at Fairway, and probably not spend more than a few extra minutes.

If you're coming off the 401 and heading downtown, Google estimates 7-14 minutes from the Fairway Rd expressway exit in a car at 8:30 AM. The ION station is 5-7 minutes of driving and another 20 minutes on the bus or train, plus up to 10 minutes of waiting. The cost difference is about $66-88/month depending on the exact lot, and extra gas probably adds another $12. Would you pay an extra $80-100 to avoid 14 hours of commuting? I think a lot of people would, and many appreciate having their car available for lunch and errands as well.

The "problem" with park and ride in KW is downtown parking is way too readily available to justify a GRT pass in addition to paying for a car, even though it ends up being significantly cheaper. It obviously works for whoever is using the lot right now, but I'm not sure there is a whole lot of demand unless the downtown parking situation changes considerably. I do think more people would use it if the region highlighted the cost difference since it's significant to some people, many of whom are probably not doing the math on an extra $90 for a pass.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »