Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
I had the opposite reaction. I would have expected it to drop by a lot more* given its previous service levels versus the current headways. I'm surprised to see it carrying over a third of the ridership of the Ion LRT.

*They're comparing to 2018, when ridership would have been depressed anyway. I am assuming that 7's ridership would have been much higher a few years ago, when frequency was extremely high.

(10-16-2019, 09:28 AM)Spokes Wrote: Great picture.

Interesting, but not surprising, that the 7 sees such a ridership drop.  That's a good thing, it was often extremely overcrowded

It also no longer visits UW.
Keep in mind, only part of its route overlaps the Ion. There's still solid demand Fairway to Borden, and Uptown to Conestoga.
In other positive news, Tom Galloway has announced that a temporary crossing will be built by Traynor in November. Great to hear that will be up before winter.
KevinL Wrote:Keep in mind, only part of its route overlaps the Ion. There's still solid demand Fairway to Borden, and Uptown to Conestoga.

Good point. And the Uptown to Conestoga segment has better service levels.
(10-16-2019, 01:41 PM)KevinL Wrote: In other positive news, Tom Galloway has announced that a temporary crossing will be built by Traynor in November. Great to hear that will be up before winter.
I was just thinking that there needs to be some activity in that area if it's going to happen this year, now if only my apt would stop fixing the hole in the fence that connects to the path
I was driving west on Northfield yesterday and noticed an eastbound train was stopped at the station, but the crossing signal hadn't been set off. Has that whole Transport Canada thing about activating the signal as the train approaches even though it's going to stop at the station been relaxed a bit?

Further to the discussion we had a while back about people having trouble getting their fare cards to be read on the ION platforms: I took the ION for the first time since the free days recently (I usually bike to work along the tracks, so don’t regularly use it). So it was my first time using the fare tap device on the platform. Initially I held the card against the screen like a debit or credit card tap, then realized/remembered that there is a separate contact area which I then used successfully. I don’t remember everything that was said but is it possible some people are tapping the screen rather than the contact area? Probably enough people are used to debit/credit tap that tapping the screen is a familiar action for them.
(10-19-2019, 04:15 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: I don’t remember everything that was said but is it possible some people are tapping the screen rather than the contact area? Probably enough people are used to debit/credit tap that tapping the screen is a familiar action for them.
I see people tap the screen all the time not the contact area. I've even told people to tap the contact area then I see them tap the screen the next day once I explained it to them the previous day. People just don't like paying attention it seems.
(10-19-2019, 01:28 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote: I was driving west on Northfield yesterday and noticed an eastbound train was stopped at the station, but the crossing signal hadn't been set off. Has that whole Transport Canada thing about activating the signal as the train approaches even though it's going to stop at the station been relaxed a bit?

No, it's the CBTC system. While the gates do have to automatically activate, there's a button in the cab that can cancel gates when the train is stopped. So you'll see the gates start activating as the train arrives, it stops, and then the gates go back up, then the train has to inch out of the station to re-trigger the gates.
(10-19-2019, 07:47 PM)taylortbb Wrote:
(10-19-2019, 01:28 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote: I was driving west on Northfield yesterday and noticed an eastbound train was stopped at the station, but the crossing signal hadn't been set off. Has that whole Transport Canada thing about activating the signal as the train approaches even though it's going to stop at the station been relaxed a bit?

No, it's the CBTC system. While the gates do have to automatically activate, there's a button in the cab that can cancel gates when the train is stopped. So you'll see the gates start activating as the train arrives, it stops, and then the gates go back up, then the train has to inch out of the station to re-trigger the gates.

Yes, they always have to inch forward, it's annoying, I feel like there should be a button in cab to trigger the lights, so that they can trigger it as they close the doors, this would a) speed the train along because they could depart sooner, and b) not have us edge forward 2 feet only to shudder to a stop again, leading to a more comfortable ride.
Another collision today. Not sure why CTV decided this one in particular was important enough to report considering there were at least two others in the last couple weeks.

https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/suv-collide...-1.4647104
From the report:  "It happened on Maurice Street between Ottawa Street South and Sydney Street South around 5:30 p.m."

Not surprising that there's collisions, if the Ion is going to go on streets that have no tracks on them!

Ok ya this one's the IONs fault haha
(10-19-2019, 09:14 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(10-19-2019, 07:47 PM)taylortbb Wrote: No, it's the CBTC system. While the gates do have to automatically activate, there's a button in the cab that can cancel gates when the train is stopped. So you'll see the gates start activating as the train arrives, it stops, and then the gates go back up, then the train has to inch out of the station to re-trigger the gates.

Yes, they always have to inch forward, it's annoying, I feel like there should be a button in cab to trigger the lights, so that they can trigger it as they close the doors, this would a) speed the train along because they could depart sooner, and b) not have us edge forward 2 feet only to shudder to a stop again, leading to a more comfortable ride.

There isn’t a button? Unbelievable. Since it needs to be able not to trigger the lights in the event it is stopped for an extended period or travelling in the opposite direction, it should be trivial to give the operator a way to indicate when they are ready to go. The crossing protection should be triggered at the same time as the chimes go for the doors. Then by the time the doors are closed the crossing protection will be almost entirely engaged already and the train can probably leave without further delay; but on the other hand the crossing won’t have been uselessly blocked for the entire time the train is in station.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »