Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
11/11! Booyah!

maps are kind of my thing -

(11-30-2015, 02:38 PM)Markster Wrote: That's no road.

That's a space station.

-- I mean, that's the Laurel Trail.  They tore it up at the beginning of the summer to make space for the double track and an access road to do the work. And now they've put it back.  It's a few metres to the west of it's old location.

It was very frustrating that the University was tearing up the sidewalk on Ring Road while the trail was still closed.  I had been using that sidewalk as a replacement for the trail.

Not only is it the Laurel Trail, it's part of the Trans Canada Trail. It is very frustrating that an important trail link can be closed for as long as it has been.
Got 11/11 which is surprising since some of those cities I'm not that familiar with, but a bit of logic and geography helps quite a bit.
Also can boast 11/11. Some luck, some knowledge.
I'm amazed everyone got Glasgow. I really thought nobody knew about that one. It has crazy history.
Utility crews are working late - just passed Queen and Duke where the floodlights are up and equipment is still busy past 9PM.
Strange... no imposing deadlines to hit on that one.

I drove past William & Caroline earlier this evening and the tracks are across the road.
(11-30-2015, 02:38 PM)Markster Wrote:
(11-29-2015, 12:29 PM)Canard Wrote: At University of Waterloo, some kind of paved road is being put down on the other side of the fences that the University just put up.  Is this a maintenance access road or something for the track?
[Image: attachment.php?aid=597]

That's no road.

That's a space station.

-- I mean, that's the Laurel Trail.  They tore it up at the beginning of the summer to make space for the double track and an access road to do the work. And now they've put it back.  It's a few metres to the west of it's old location.

It was very frustrating that the University was tearing up the sidewalk on Ring Road while the trail was still closed.  I had been using that sidewalk as a replacement for the trail.

Ummm ...  When did the world get a Light Blue Tardis? No wait it is a Dark Blue so what Tardis is light blue?
(11-30-2015, 10:24 PM)Canard Wrote: I'm amazed everyone got Glasgow. I really thought nobody knew about that one. It has crazy history.

If you are familiar with the rise and decline of the British empire, Glasgow is a natural choice.

I thought that for the size of the city depicted, the only subway that was embarrassingly small was.... Toronto with Chicago not too far behind.
There's "utility work"  for Ion being done on Caroline from FDB to Alexandra between today and Saturday, requiring Lane closures. What utility work would be needed? It's probably too early to start stringing the catpoles yet, isn't it?

Another thought: Charles / Francis reopens on Friday, and Charles / Cedar reopens tomorrow. Apart from Queen, that leaves pretty much a straight shot from Madison to Victoria, ready for curbs and to be paved! The section from Madison to Stirling will follow not too long after. It's possible we could see Charles (with the exception of Queen) reopen fully before Christmas!
When are Queen/Charles and Queen/Duke expected to re-open?  Can that kind of work continue through the winter?
(12-01-2015, 12:43 AM)panamaniac Wrote: When are Queen/Charles and Queen/Duke expected to re-open?  Can that kind of work continue through the winter?

I heard that Queen/Duke is supposed to be 7 weeks, but likely will take longer.

Queen and Duke is *scheduled* to reopen right before Christmas. Queen and Charles should reopen mid-January.
They have rails lined up on King south of Union. Do they have concrete curbs through that section? I would think they would wait to place the rails until the correct curbs are in place, but I don't really know these things.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »