Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
Yessir, that would be me! I've marked the section of Charles as Planned so that it wouldn't be used for directions in the interim, since it's impassable at the moment. I've also realigned it per the technical drawings, and have a edit (pending review) to make it one-way, while I add the other half of Charles. You can see I've already added a portion of the other half between Stirling and Borden. The track along Caroline is also my doing. I've added double track along the spur up to Bearinger, but the second line past that is pending still (as is the track along Borden). I've been adding the track as it goes in in real life.

Also, Charles at Borden is no longer a U-Turn! It's back to being one-directional like it was last week. I doubted the closure was for rails as well, because it would surely take more than 2 weeks, and the Northbound portion coming from Ontario hasn't even been dug up yet, let alone underground work completed.

You should add the track on Borden too then! It is from the CN tracks to Nyberg.
I have! Smile Just waiting for it to be approved by those with the power to do so.
Ahh. And all the construction on Charles. The way it is now it makes one think "oh, this is all passable then if this part is marked not" but in reality much more of it is impassable than what's shown. I guess the delay in the approval process must really make it hard to indicate construction on a project like this.
You are welcome to contribute too.

In part, it's just a lack of volunteers who have granular, up-to-date knowledge of what is open and closed, who also have the inclination to make the updates immediately as the situation changes.

Currently, the closure on Google Maps, which, while not comprehensive for someone reading the map, does an excellent job of making sure that Google Directions avoids Charles. And these days, that's 95% good enough.
(12-03-2015, 12:43 PM)Markster Wrote: You are welcome to contribute too.

Trying!  Any idea why it won't let me do this?

There's a geometry error on Bedford road that won't let you intersect anything with it. I've reported the problem multiple times and it hasn't been fixed yet. Best to just avoid the area for now!

I'm also trying to avoid doing edits that create unnecessary intersections. Where you've ended the track before Nyberg, for example (and presumably where you ended it at the CN tracks) would leave 2 extra endpoints that need would need to be adjusted later should someone choose to edit that segment of track. I've been ending mine at the closest completed intersection to avoid this.

Looks like Ottawa has issues too (lower right of my image); intersection with Courtland.
Kitchener Market station now being poured.  Curbs are also coming soon at Charles/Cedar.

Attached Files Image(s)

King St was almost completely paved as of today (they were still doing it at about 6:30 tonight, in front of the hospital). This will probably be a 2-way street by next week!

Charles from Water to Ontario had all of it's curbs (including the 3rd curb) finished today. Will probably be paved tomorrow.

Charles at Benton, they were making the last remaining watermain connection. Also, rails were lined up here. They'll probably start putting rails down Charles next week! This should be a 2-way street by then.

Borden was almost completely at it's pre-construction level as of today. I can tell because of how high the ground comes up on the base of the catpoles. They're supposed to start the final road work here soon.
When I rode by Charles/Stirling around 6 they were pouring and shaping curbs around the corner. There were also a lot of other work going on but I couldn't get an idea of what they were up to exactly, looked like some guys were in a trench. The weather is supposed to be nice and sunny for the next week so hopefully they'll get a lot of paving and concrete work done!
It really is unreal how lucky the team has been to have such a forgiving winter so far. I bet every week of extra good weather we get they probably get like 3 weeks worth of regular "Winter" work done.
Happy to report that roof crews are finishing off the coating on the main hall or the OMSF (damage from the fire). Smile

Platform work at Research & Technology:

Platform work at Willis Way:

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »