Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
Which is this thread for those who don't want to look it up.

Railing going in on the King St. underpass.  Kind of ugly, very basic looking, I doubt its anything more than the cheapest option available it appears, but nothing particularly problematic I see.  And should be completed rather quickly compared with *ahem* other railings.

I still don't see how these pathways (especially on the west side) will qualify as MUTs though, the east side is plenty wide such, but both have serious obstructions at the north end.

Also appears concrete will soon be poured at the south end of the west side.

(08-23-2017, 08:02 PM)tomh009 Wrote: I don't think Grandlinq would have wanted a contract that depends on another independent supplier (Bombardier) that they have no control over.  Now, if the region had bought he trains, too, from Grandlinq, it would be a whole different thing.

Past delivery delays tank Bombardier’s bid for New York City subway contract

August 29th 2017

Bombardier:
In a letter sent to employees, the president of the company’s Americas division said past poor performance and delays “sealed the fate of our bid.”
(08-30-2017, 12:02 AM)MacBerry Wrote:
(08-23-2017, 08:02 PM)tomh009 Wrote: I don't think Grandlinq would have wanted a contract that depends on another independent supplier (Bombardier) that they have no control over.  Now, if the region had bought he trains, too, from Grandlinq, it would be a whole different thing.

August 29th 2017

Bombardier:
In a letter sent to employees, the president of the company’s Americas division said past poor performance and delays “sealed the fate of our bid.”

Sow. Reap. :(
(08-30-2017, 01:01 PM)chutten Wrote:

August 29th 2017

Bombardier:

Sow. Reap. Sad

At least he seems to be candidly admitting why they lost the business. Knowing there is a problem is the first step in recovery. If they were still denying they had a problem it would be even more worrisome. Whether they can fix the problems is another story.
Now this is a bit of a place to have Bombardier. They've publicly admitted that one of the largest transit agencies in the world (largest in America?) doesn't trust them to deliver on time. If they don't speed up and shape up for Metrolinx and the TTC, it will look even worse on them. Meanwhile, if either of those groups (or RoW) starts to be more vocal about their issues, it could push them to be responsive and ship/shape up. If they don't, it will only serve as a sign that Bombardier really is on a harsh downturn, from which it might not be prepared to work hard enough to recover from.

August 29th 2017

Bombardier:

So in other words....when they say "forced the MTA to plan to keep its old fleet in service for four years longer than originally planned" would it be surprising to anyone if we're only 1 year off the originally. Or would it be less surprising if it's still 18 months away....

(08-31-2017, 07:16 AM)jeffster Wrote: So in other words....when they say "forced the MTA to plan to keep its old fleet in service for four years longer than originally planned" would it be surprising to anyone if we're only 1 year off the originally. Or would it be less surprising if it's still 18 months away....

The MTA ordered 300 trains, we ordered 18. There's a huge difference.
(08-31-2017, 07:58 AM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(08-31-2017, 07:16 AM)jeffster Wrote: So in other words....when they say "forced the MTA to plan to keep its old fleet in service for four years longer than originally planned" would it be surprising to anyone if we're only 1 year off the originally. Or would it be less surprising if it's still 18 months away....

The MTA ordered 300 trains, we ordered 18.  There's a huge difference.

14. Not that it affects what you’re saying, just keeping the number accurate.

Let’s hope they really have fixed their organization and once the signal integration is figured out the car deliveries will resume rapidly. I’m still dubious but we’ll see.
ION LRV No. 2 in Millhaven, Ontario:

Photo Credit: Jon Bullock
(08-31-2017, 09:17 AM)Canard Wrote: ION LRV No. 2 in Millhaven, Ontario:

Photo Credit: Jon Bullock

Nice, so what's happening now? Does this mean it's coming soon? what was the last word, october for this one?
(08-31-2017, 09:13 AM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(08-31-2017, 07:58 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: The MTA ordered 300 trains, we ordered 18.  There's a huge difference.

14. Not that it affects what you’re saying, just keeping the number accurate.

Let’s hope they really have fixed their organization and once the signal integration is figured out the car deliveries will resume rapidly. I’m still dubious but we’ll see.

Yes, sorry, my mistake.
Urbd - October, yep.

(08-31-2017, 11:31 AM)Canard Wrote: Urbd - October, yep.

I still really hope some sort of miracle happens and we are all pleasantly surprised by an early Spring 2018 service start...
Fall 2018 is still my guess. Systems typically need 3-9 months of testing.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »