Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
It would be lovely to have it running in time for the blues festival next summer. I guess it really depends whether it's three months or nine months!

Or two, or ten, or 9 years - just on average from my observations of following many projects, three is about the bare minimum, from first pull-through, to service start. Our system is more complex, so I imagine it will be closer to nine than three.
And also, what's the latest word on the initial tests on the track with the first vehicle? October?
Canard, you think it will be three more years, 2020, before service starts?
Oh, haha! I meant months. Jeez. Smile Well, maybe it will be!

Yes, all indications I've heard is that in October, we'll see 502 out in the tracks, shortly after it arrives.
I don't even think we can start making estimates on when it'll go live until the 2nd train gets here and starts being tested. Right now we essentially have nothing and no reason to trust the estimates from Bombardier.
I'm amazed it went to Ottawa and back without a peep. I suspect Tiger meant one of the Metrolinx pilots.

(09-01-2017, 06:32 AM)Canard Wrote: I'm amazed it went to Ottawa and back without a peep. I suspect Tiger meant one of the Metrolinx pilots.

That was my guess as well, seeing as BBD said it was Metrolinx LRV 1 that went to Ottawa.
Software: The Latest Snafu - The Record
Quote:"One of the things we've never gotten an answer for is Bombardier is already producing this vehicle in Europe. So why can't Bombardier North America produce it?" Galloway said.

Truly a question for the ages.
It's not. FLEXITY Freedom is a variant of the FLEXITY 2 from Europe. It's a brand new product - we're the launch customer. It only looks the same on the outside. The bones are totally different.
(09-01-2017, 09:09 PM)Canard Wrote: Software: The Latest Snafu - The Record

Yep, just read that, was going to post it but saw you beat me to it.

Hate to be negative, at this rate though, 2018 seems optimistic. It shall be a rough year for politicians if this isn't up and running before October 2018....
For all we know, it could be super-strict certification-type stuff with Transport Canada that is causing Bombardier all the headaches.  It's conceivable that there's a totally different protocol here for the programming, since it's running as a "railway" for part of the line - something they didn't have to do for the FLEXITY Outlook LRV's for Toronto.  You'd think Bombardier would try to defend themselves by pointing out something like that, but maybe they're bound not to by some kind of legal agreement.

That seems like a pretty big reach. The most likely reason seems that they're just behind - whether the schedule was too aggressive or they hit unanticipated problems. The reason they're not "defending" themselves is that its just their fault.
I'm just saying - if LRV No. 1 showed up here without software, and 6 months later it still doesn't have working software... there is probably a good reason beyond what we are privy to.

(I personally have always thought 501 is probably a lemon, and would need to go to Millhaven to be rebuilt right - and now it sounds like that's exactly what is going to happen!)
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »