Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(10-26-2017, 02:13 PM)Canard Wrote:

Thanks for the great pictures! And the interesting video. However, I think MAX needs to re-think their approach. Rather than investigating how a video which is of public interest and which has absolutely no confidential content came to be available, they should be officially releasing it, committing to releasing any future video of comparable interest, and investigating how it is that a train overran the platform, something which is actually dangerous.

Yeah, that's not going to happen. Nobody fesses up to screwing up - especially when it's a public agency. Why would they?
(10-26-2017, 05:16 PM)Canard Wrote: Yeah, that's not going to happen.  Nobody fesses up to screwing up - especially when it's a public agency.  Why would they?

Because this is a democracy?

But seriously folks, … Tongue

Point taken. However, I expect an investigation into the overrun incident will be required. So they can’t really avoid that part. What they can do is avoid attempting to hide information from the public; and viewing it strictly from an appearance/PR perspective, they can especially avoid appearing to hide information that is already out there and therefore can no longer be hidden. I liked how the news reports said something like “we asked them for this footage [that we are broadcasting right at this second] and they wouldn’t give it to us.” To me it made MAX look like a bunch of idiots in a way that a single zero-fatalities buffer overrun incident (or even a more serious incident) doesn’t necessarily.
10-11 second mark of the video, what's that popping out? Headlight? lol

As far as releasing the video, quite possible there was some litigation or something else going on in the background.
The thing that pops out is the combed interface block on the top of the bumping post, after it reaches the end of its travel and structurally fails by separating from the frame:

They really need a way to get rid of that water and waste on those tracks that are not embedded.
(10-27-2017, 02:12 AM)Square Wrote: They really need a way to get rid of that water and waste on those tracks that are not embedded.

Having a simple bioswale would've done the job perfectly well. Uh.

Anyone know what the odd "washing" is that's happened on parts of the tracks? The rails in front of Kaufman were "washed" with some white gunk, but seemingly only on the sidewalk side. People's shoes tracked it around, and it seems a bit caked on, but it doesn't seem like it's everywhere.
They're removing the temporary spacing from all the concrete sections, filling it with the final "stuff", and then painting the final road markings over top.

What is "bioswale"?

I worry that the water in the grooves where the bumping posts will fill with water, freeze, and then render the bumping post immobile. In a crash, it won't do its job properly, because it won't be able to move.
A bioswale is a very posh ditch, if I'm not mistaken. Wink
Seems like a drain tube might be a better and more practical way to go.
(10-27-2017, 10:56 AM)Canard Wrote: They're removing the temporary spacing from all the concrete sections, filling it with the final "stuff", and then painting the final road markings over top.

Temporary spacing?  Is this the white plastic spacers?
(10-27-2017, 10:56 AM)Canard Wrote: I worry that the water in the grooves where the bumping posts will fill with water, freeze, and then render the bumping post immobile.  In a crash, it won't do its job properly, because it won't be able to move.

Is the amount of ice that could build up in that area really strong enough to stop a train dead in its tracks?

(10-27-2017, 11:46 AM)tomh009 Wrote:
(10-27-2017, 10:56 AM)Canard Wrote: They're removing the temporary spacing from all the concrete sections, filling it with the final "stuff", and then painting the final road markings over top.

Temporary spacing?  Is this the white plastic spacers?

Yes

(10-27-2017, 11:49 AM)timc Wrote:
(10-27-2017, 10:56 AM)Canard Wrote: I worry that the water in the grooves where the bumping posts will fill with water, freeze, and then render the bumping post immobile.  In a crash, it won't do its job properly, because it won't be able to move.

Is the amount of ice that could build up in that area really strong enough to stop a train dead in its tracks?

Yes
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Check this out for a good laugh. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/wrLRT?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#wrLRT</a> <a href="https://t.co/g2Te2dfqGS">pic.twitter.com/g2Te2dfqGS</a></p>&mdash; Iain Hendry ? (@Canardiain) <a href="https://twitter.com/Canardiain/status/923582545073262592?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">October 26, 2017</a></blockquote>
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »