Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(10-30-2017, 11:29 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: I think by law all rail that shares track or crosses provincial/federal boundaries (maybe even all rail?) is considered to be a federal (Transport Canada) jurisdiction

All railway operations are under the jurisdiction of Transport Canada.

(10-30-2017, 05:55 PM)Canard Wrote: ijmorlan:  As for the fence... while all you have typed up there may make sense, none of us (that I know of) have ever seen the "Rule book" from Transport Canada (or whoever) that decides why and where the fences are going up.  There is probably some very strict and carefully guided calculation about how these locations are determined.  It's impossible for us to speculate on why these things are going up where they are.  You'll just exhaust yourself trying.

True enough. But part of the point of this site is to tilt at windmills, right? Tongue
Keep in mind, that a level crossing will be installed at that exact location when they build Virerra Village.
After a brief period of ramping up production, it appears as though Bombardier has fallen asleep. No more new deliveries for Ion this month and the TTC order has seemingly regressed in pace. I'm curious what the justification behind this is. QA? Paperwork? Labour challenges?
What makes you think the fault is Bombardier's?

Almost all of our trains are built, ready to rock.

Let's just wait 'till tomorrow, shall we?
What happens tomorrow?
(10-31-2017, 12:48 PM)JoeKW Wrote: What happens tomorrow?

The future!   Rolleyes

(10-31-2017, 11:46 AM)timio Wrote: After a brief period of ramping up production, it appears as though Bombardier has fallen asleep. No more new deliveries for Ion this month and the TTC order has seemingly regressed in pace. I'm curious what the justification behind this is.  QA? Paperwork? Labour challenges?

Not likely any thing Bombardier related at this point. 3-6 are fully assembled and for the past couple of weeks have been undergoing testing at Millhaven. The most likely cause for any delay at this point is shipment scheduling with CN as 3/4 have been ready to ship for 2 weeks now. We may not actually hear about any shipments from Bombardier until the last one actually ships. So we may end up playing a game of "Whats in GEXR Lancaster Yard" for the next couple of months or so.
(10-31-2017, 12:48 PM)JoeKW Wrote: What happens tomorrow?

All the candy gets eaten?
The delay is not shipping related.

Tomorrow at 7 is a Regional Council meeting.
These showed up at Fairway ION Station. 
[Image: 8RDcQCr.jpg]
(10-31-2017, 04:52 PM)Canard Wrote: The delay is not shipping related.

We're cancelling the order and going with CRRC Changchun Railway??? Wait till Jeff Outhit hears about this!!

I thought it odd that no agenda has been posted when they are usually up the Friday before. Insider beans to spill Canard?

Oh, and yes, it is Bombardier's fault. They shouldn't have told council members back in September there would be 3 additional trains before November if they could not deliver.

Plus, I wonder if the fact that the unlitigated (contractual) financial penalties topped out in March contributes to the lack of incentive to get the trains built and delivered.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.

(10-31-2017, 07:43 PM)JoeKW Wrote:

We're cancelling the order and going with CRRC Changchun Railway??? Wait till Jeff Outhit hears about this!!

Nice try but no. At this point it's not possible to go with another manufacturer.
(10-31-2017, 07:50 PM)Pheidippides Wrote:

I thought it odd that no agenda has been posted when they are usually up the Friday before. Insider beans to spill Canard?

Oh, and yes, it is Bombardier's fault. They shouldn't have told council members back in September there would be 3 additional trains before November if they could not deliver.

Plus, I wonder if the fact that the unlitigated (contractual) financial penalties topped out in March contributes to the lack of incentive to get the trains built and delivered.
Technically they could have delivered 3 & 4 by now. Those two have been ready to ship for 2+ weeks.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »