Welcome Guest!
WIn order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 4.38 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
Great pics as always, Canard! Thank you!
Might be something to pitch to Tom Galloway or someone at the Region, whether there's any unused space at the transit terminal they could use. My guess is that they want to be on Charles Street though, not within the terminal bays.
Apparently they're testing the ramp to launch trains:

https://www.facebook.com/rideION/photos/...=3&theater
(01-24-2017, 02:41 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: Might be something to pitch to Tom Galloway or someone at the Region, whether there's any unused space at the transit terminal they could use. My guess is that they want to be on Charles Street though, not within the terminal bays.

And if it truly is all about the consumer's choice, I guess they have no problem sharing that lane with Uber drivers.... Wink

Coke
Fun Fact: The "Allen" platform is narrower than all the other bi-directional platforms. There won't be a full winter enclosure here as a result.
For daily ion construction updates, photos and general urban rail news, follow me on twitter! @Canardiain
Should mean an opportunity to make a winterized platform of the jumper-protection-subway-style, use the whole platform. Someday.
Are you suggesting platform screen doors? That's not happening.
For daily ion construction updates, photos and general urban rail news, follow me on twitter! @Canardiain
It could... but certainly isn't any part of any current plan. But having winterized waiting is very helpful for transit in Canada, coming as an OCTranspo user prior to university.
Dubai has the only tram in the world I can think of with platform screen doors, because they have AC in the stations and trains.

I'm sorry - it just ain't gonna happen.
Don't several in South Korea, Japan, etc? Typically seems more about preventing people from jumping onto the tracks than climate control in those cases.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Possibly Related Threads...
  Light Rail Vehicles - LRT, ICTS, Monorail, and more Canard 337 132,800 10-08-2018, 10:51 AM
Last Post: Canard
  ION Phase 2 - Cambridge's Light Rail Transit Canard 459 131,143 06-24-2018, 12:29 PM
Last Post: ijmorlan
  Region of Waterloo will receive over $341m in funding for public transit Bob_McBob 32 3,835 03-20-2018, 09:07 PM
Last Post: tomh009