Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(02-01-2018, 05:31 PM)trainspotter139 Wrote:
(02-01-2018, 05:15 PM)jamincan Wrote: I had heard that the Region had requested that Bombardier delay delivery of the remaining LRVs until... something. I forget that part!

until they're all "tickety-boo" or until Grandlinq really needs them. At this point in the testing they don't. So expect a sudden arrival of many vehicles sometime in the late winter, early spring -ish timeframe

There is however, a limit to the rate at which they can be delivered (governed by the timing of the trains, and the necessity to use the custom flat car), so....yeah....anyone want to take a gander at what that rate is, thus how long it will take to deliver the remaining trains.

(02-01-2018, 05:34 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(02-01-2018, 05:31 PM)trainspotter139 Wrote: until they're all "tickety-boo" or until Grandlinq really needs them. At this point in the testing they don't. So expect a sudden arrival of many vehicles sometime in the late winter, early spring -ish timeframe

There is however, a limit to the rate at which they can be delivered (governed by the timing of the trains, and the necessity to use the custom flat car), so....yeah....anyone want to take a gander at what that rate is, thus how long it will take to deliver the remaining trains.

one of those flat cars only takes about 3 days to get to the region from Kingston once picked up by CN. The only issue with flat car turnaround is here tbh.
Tee-hee-hee
(02-01-2018, 07:11 PM)Canard Wrote: Tee-hee-hee

You're not the only giddy individual here Tongue
Uh, yeah. Sure - that's what I meant. Heh.

Hoarding has gone up in UpTown where the tracks cross king, and on the crossover at Cameron Heights.

Lots of last minute fix-ups, it seems.
(02-01-2018, 08:44 PM)Canard Wrote: Uh, yeah.  Sure - that's what I meant.  Heh.

Hoarding has gone up in UpTown where the tracks cross king, and on the crossover at Cameron Heights.

Lots of last minute fix-ups, it seems.

Re: King, do you mean just the LRT track as it curves from King into the WTS station? Or is the freight track also involved?
Just the LRT tracks. Can't help but wonder if it's another case of bad gauge... same hoarding setup.

I really wish they'd do something to make the trains stand out a little more, at least in the early goings, until they are used to interacting with them so we can put off our first crash as long as possible.

Stick few strobe lights on the trains, like the ones the school buses have, to get people's attention.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
(02-01-2018, 10:24 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: I really wish they'd do something to make the trains stand out a little more, at least in the early goings, until they are used to interacting with them so we can put off our first crash as long as possible.

Stick few strobe lights on the trains, like the ones the school buses have, to get people's attention.

Just install temporary massive steel crash buffers on the trains Tongue

The test track is one of the more segregated portions of the line so I’m not expecting big problems. On the Waterloo Spur the only interaction is at railway crossings where it’s protected by gates. Even on Northfield I believe there is a proper curb separating the tracks so as long as people obey their signals there should be no opportunity for problems.

My biggest concern is somebody might get impatient at a railway crossing. The signals seem to be activating unnecessarily or excessively at times which might lead people to bypass them. They really need to get the signals working properly. Incidentally, does anybody know what will happen when an LRV is arriving, for example, northbound at Seagram station? The crossing protection on Seagram Drive should not activate until the train is ready to leave the station, but it’s not clear to me what will actually happen.

Once they start testing on the roll curb segments on King St., though, all bets are off. Of course there we also run into the illegal lane occupancy issue (it’s not really a problem with illegal parking or even stopping as such; the problem is that cars have no more right to be in the LRT lane than they do to be on the sidewalk, or on your lawn, or in the hallway of Waterloo Town Square).
I think you give the general public too much credit. LRT is new to the community and even at slow speeds and isolated people will still find a way to put themselves in harm's way.

Part of the testing process is getting the signals to work properly under all scenarios. I think that is why they need at least 3 LRVs, to test all the permutations of signal timings.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
(02-02-2018, 09:11 AM)Pheidippides Wrote: I think you give the general public too much credit. LRT is new to the community and even at slow speeds and isolated people will still find a way to put themselves in harm's way.

Part of the testing process is getting the signals to work properly under all scenarios. I think that is why they need at least 3 LRVs, to test all the permutations of signal timings.

I’m just an eternal optimist Tongue

Let’s just say that I wouldn’t take a money bet against you.
On other LRT systems I have been on, what happens in a situation like NB at Seagram is this:

-Train approaches station at speed. Arms come down, bells/lights on.
-Once the train stops at the platform, arms go up, bells/lights off.
-When the train is ready to depart, arms go down, bells/lights come on.
-Once train clears intersection, arms go up, bells/lights off.

The reason for this is presumably so if the train blows through the station, people don’t die.

I cannot wait to see intersections like Erb/Caroline and Block Line/Courtland once things get cranking. Up down up down up down. Hahaha
I think the drivers on those roads will have different opinions than yours, but thanks for the details!

Caught this guy cruising by the office yesterday....

Nice !!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »