Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
*sigh*...

As for horn, I've seen the streetcars in Toronto in a segregated ROW use their horns on cars that have pulled into and stopped in the right of way.

...which would be an appropriate use. Smile

Blowing it at every crossing from now until forever is not.
(05-08-2018, 07:07 AM)Canard Wrote: Temporary, thankfully.

Good to know....
So... It's now been over a week since the last unload. Any word on the next one?
Best thing I've read today: the LRT is $150m over budget because the new preferred route for Stage 2 would cost $100m more than the previous one.
(05-05-2018, 12:08 PM)Canard Wrote: Passenger on her phone. I circled around (on my bike).

“Hi, you can’t park here.”
:: continues to stare at phone, ignoring me ::
“Hi, did you see that sign?”
:: looks up at me briefly, waves hands, points at building, goes back to phone. ::
“YOU CANNOT PARK HERE. THESE ARE TRACKS THAT TRAINS GO ON.”
:: while staring at phone, waves her hand at me, shooing me away. ::

Angry

I had this same conversation many times, but mine was followed by a walk to the rear of the vehicle, followed by a walk to their wiper where I placed the ticket. 

Then it was "Are you serious?  Why couldn't you just ask me to move?".

Coke
(05-09-2018, 02:20 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote: Best thing I've read today: the LRT is $150m over budget because the new preferred route for Stage 2 would cost $100m more than the previous one.

Source?

Aww, they just put 507 away. Just as I was about to head up to watch.

Some signal problems today it sounded like, but mostly testing back and forth on the NB track, between R+T Park and Waterloo Public Square.

We all missed it I guess, but 2 LRV’s were out on the tracks yesterday under power, a first, I believe.

506 is loaded and ready to go (if it hasn’t already left).
(05-09-2018, 03:57 PM)Canard Wrote: Aww, they just put 507 away. Just as I was about to head up to watch.

Some signal problems today it sounded like, but mostly testing back and forth on the NB track, between R+T Park and Waterloo Public Square.

We all missed it I guess, but 2 LRV’s were out on the tracks yesterday under power, a first, I believe.

506 is loaded and ready to go (if it hasn’t already left).

506 is already here isn't it.... 505?
Yes; 505.
(05-09-2018, 03:16 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(05-09-2018, 02:20 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote: Best thing I've read today: the LRT is $150m over budget because the new preferred route for Stage 2 would cost $100m more than the previous one.

Source?

Bob will no doubt correct me if I’m confused, but I think Stage 1 is $50M over budget; Stage 2 is now proposed to cost $100M more than previously estimated. Somebody added these numbers together and said “See! LRT is way over budget! By $150M! And it will result in demolition of all of downtown Kitchener, leaving it a burnt-out husk!” OK, last sentence added by me.

If I have it right, then I’d say that if somebody needs to roll a possible increase in the cost of a future stage in with the budget for the current project in order to come up with a financial complaint, they’re scraping the barrel in terms of finding things to complain about.
Yes, that’s how I interpret this misleading title as well.
(05-09-2018, 05:19 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(05-09-2018, 03:16 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Source?

Bob will no doubt correct me if I’m confused, but I think Stage 1 is $50M over budget; Stage 2 is now proposed to cost $100M more than previously estimated. Somebody added these numbers together and said “See! LRT is way over budget! By $150M! And it will result in demolition of all of downtown Kitchener, leaving it a burnt-out husk!” OK, last sentence added by me.

If I have it right, then I’d say that if somebody needs to roll a possible increase in the cost of a future stage in with the budget for the current project in order to come up with a financial complaint, they’re scraping the barrel in terms of finding things to complain about.

Yep, that was exactly their logic. I'm surprised they didn't go back to 2009 when the estimated cost for Stage 1 was only $790m. $178m over budget and counting!

(05-09-2018, 06:55 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote:
(05-09-2018, 05:19 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: Bob will no doubt correct me if I’m confused, but I think Stage 1 is $50M over budget; Stage 2 is now proposed to cost $100M more than previously estimated. Somebody added these numbers together and said “See! LRT is way over budget! By $150M! And it will result in demolition of all of downtown Kitchener, leaving it a burnt-out husk!” OK, last sentence added by me.

Yep, that was exactly their logic. I'm surprised they didn't go back to 2009 when the estimated cost for Stage 1 was only $790m. $178m over budget and counting!

Who is "they"?  I haven't been able to find anything in the local media.  Or did I miss something that appeared some time ago?
Finch just had it's tender put out - 2.5 bn for 11 km of LRT. 4.8x the cost of ion for what they're getting.

I have always said that the team here did an excellent job of absolutely maximizing the size of the system for as little money as possible.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »