Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
The Race is on:

[Ottawa] LRT won't be ready to roll until 2019
RTG will miss its deadline for the second time this year

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/lr...-1.4817010

Soooo... last I heard the new target launch date is Spring 2019. This is just comical now.
(09-10-2018, 12:07 PM)trainspotter139 Wrote: The Race is on:

[Ottawa] LRT won't be ready to roll until 2019
RTG will miss its deadline for the second time this year

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/lr...-1.4817010

Already being discussed in the Ottawa LRT thread.
http://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/s...hp?tid=589
Not really comical, big projects are complicated and take time.
They've had plenty of time. 1 1/2 years late is comical to anyone on the outside.
I’m on the outside and I also understand how projects work, because I build things, too.
(09-10-2018, 11:33 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote: They've had plenty of time. 1 1/2 years late is comical to anyone on the outside.

I agree,  heads should roll....

Why? What would that accomplish?

Have you ever built something? It’s neat. It takes a while sometimes when things are complicated.
(09-11-2018, 07:42 AM)Canard Wrote: Why? What would that accomplish?

Have you ever built something? It’s neat. It takes a while sometimes when things are complicated.

I actually have built things.  I was 13 years in the manufacturing sector.  I have taken on large scope projects and completed them on time and on budget ( it is what the private sector demands).  That being said, I haven't been in charge of a major infrastructure project like this , however, we all get that there are delays and that unknown problems will be discovered along the way that would be difficult to  anticipate.  The issue is in the communications.  When your information officers keeps stringing people along and not having an honest conversation, it leaves you open for criticism.   Checks and Balances are about being honest and having the integrity to take ownership of your failures and admit to them.  You shouldn't keep giving these projects blank cheques for excuses just because you are a dire hard fan of rail infrastructure.
There is no blank cheque. There is no cost increase because you had to wait a little longer to ride. Fixed price contract. P3. Boom. Such an impatient world we live in.

Lots of crews out on Charles; about 5 guys at Kitchener Market ripping a hole out out of the NB left turn lane, and another (bigger) crew in the Rapidway at Stirling.
(09-10-2018, 12:37 PM)urbd Wrote: Soooo... last I heard the new target launch date is Spring 2019. This is just comical now.

Whose new target launch date?
(09-11-2018, 11:09 AM)timc Wrote:
(09-10-2018, 12:37 PM)urbd Wrote: Soooo... last I heard the new target launch date is Spring 2019. This is just comical now.

And heard from whom?
(09-11-2018, 10:52 AM)Canard Wrote: There is no blank cheque. There is no cost increase because you had to wait a little longer to ride. Fixed price contract. P3. Boom. Such an impatient world we live in.

Lots of crews out on Charles; about 5 guys at Kitchener Market ripping a hole out out of the NB left turn lane, and another (bigger) crew in the Rapidway at Stirling.

Sorry, the blank cheque I was referring to is that of your unwavering defence for the projects that are continually telling us one thing then not achieving their own set milestones.  I am not criticizing you, I love your enthusiasm, but many of us do not share the same empathy as you do..  Thats all..

Had some appointments today mid-day and was able to watch 506 and 507 out to play between Conestoga and the OMSF! The rest of the alignment is under heavy work, all sorts of crews everywhere doing work on the track in curves, inductive loop testing, digging holes in the ground...
(09-11-2018, 11:09 AM)timc Wrote:

(09-11-2018, 11:14 AM)tomh009 Wrote:
(09-11-2018, 11:09 AM)timc Wrote: Whose new target launch date?

And heard from whom?

ION. From people working on the project?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »