Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
I was by the University crossing this evening and had a chance to watch the warning system in operation again.

It worked well, but as the poster with the video mentioned, they come down awfully early (before a train has even departed University of Waterloo station, heading SB). They raised promptly after the train passed (514, I believe), and the lights turned green after about ~5 seconds delay.

I think the problem must be with when a pedestrian crosswalk request is made - that just completely garbles the whole sequence and it has no idea how to recover. I've seen the condition exactly as described in the video, and from memory, I think it has always occurred when there's a large throng of people waiting to cross (meaning: someone's likely pushed the button). Foot traffic was absent in the area (except for the guy who decided to cross diagonally through the barriers, bells and lights flashing, because WTF, the rules don't apply to me!) so that's likely why the cycle operated perfectly.

(12-19-2018, 11:44 AM)Lens Wrote: Question for those who train spot or who listen to the live feed on the scanner. Does the feed sound super chopped up and difficult to hear on your end? Is it worse on mobile? I was out and listening in yesterday on my phone and I could barely hear anything from some of the vehicles.

Yes, the live feed is useless!  I have a scanner and it's perfectly clear!   I also wrote the guy running it and he told me the same story as @Canard!   I don't get it tho, cause the GRT feed is very clear, but when I told him that, he said it was the radios on the LRT fault?!   Anyway, the radio feed probably won't be available soon, so I just gave up!
What's the maximum number of LRVs that can be out on the tracks testing at once?
(12-19-2018, 11:37 PM)Spokes Wrote: What's the maximum number of LRVs that can be out on the tracks testing at once?

There's plenty of space to test all of them at once, right?  Big Grin

Unless the question is suppose we have an infinite number of LRVs, how many can be out on the line at once... that could be more complicated  Tongue
(12-19-2018, 11:57 PM)jason897 Wrote:
(12-19-2018, 11:37 PM)Spokes Wrote: What's the maximum number of LRVs that can be out on the tracks testing at once?

There's plenty of space to test all of them at once, right?  Big Grin

Unless the question is suppose we have an infinite number of LRVs, how many can be out on the line at once... that could be more complicated  Tongue

14 is only 2 more than the planned maximum service level, so I’d be pretty surprised if they couldn’t have them all running.

As to the actual maximum, I understand a round trip is supposed to take about 90 minutes. If we assume 2 minute headway, which should be achievable, that would be 45 vehicles. Providing actual service on this frequency might be an issue at the ends of the line, where the time required to arrive, drop off and pick up passengers, depart, and reset the crossover for the next vehicle might push the 2 minute headway. Even some intermediate stops might act as bottlenecks. Also at some point the impact on traffic (both vehicles and pedestrian) at crossings and elsewhere starts to become excessive.

If we use 2-car trains, that would double to 90 vehicles, although the concerns with loading/unloading and with operating the interlockings at the ends of the line would be amplified somewhat. I suspect the pedestrian accesses to our stations are not all planned to support a crush load of 2-car trains every 2 minutes.

But this does illustrate the enormous capacity of LRT. My guess is that we could run 2-car trains every 4 minutes by just doing it. Past that and you would have to look at improving some stations and at least optimizing and possibly grade-separating some of the crossings.

Way back in this thread it was said that they wouldn't run more than 4 on the line until the FIE was fully integrated.  I don't recall who said it however, or how they came by that information.  It makes sense though, until the automated position reporting and train protection features of the FIE are enabled, you'd have trouble keeping accurate track of them with any more than 4 out at a time.  Safety first.

Without the FIE 5 vehicles would be the absolute maximum that can be handled by control and the limited number of physical signals. With the FIE the theoretical maximum depends on how much speed reduction you are willing to accept

Thanks for the info!
Some work occurring on Francis today. I believe this is LRT related? Looks identical to others along the tracks. Are these generators? I'm not sure where there's room for it to be installed. Why now?

... or I'm completely wrong and it's for the LCBO.

Edit:
Now I'm really doubting myself. Backup power for the bell building?

[Image: 1893725981750222713.jpg]
(12-20-2018, 11:35 AM)Ace Wrote: Some work occurring on Francis today. I believe this is LRT related? Looks identical to others along the tracks. Are these generators? I'm not sure where there's room for it to be installed. Why now?

... or I'm completely wrong and it's for the LCBO.

Edit:
Now I'm really doubting myself. Backup power for the bell building?

It's a mast for the sailboat they're installing as part of Canada's Wonderland "Reach Out" program. Get your Gravol ready....
They've been doing work on that Bell building since at least last Friday, when I saw them hoisting some I-beams onto the roof of the lower section that's on Francis.
(12-20-2018, 11:35 AM)Ace Wrote: Now I'm really doubting myself. Backup power for the bell building?

That's what it is - Bell hosted an information session about the proposed work some time ago. I think it's part of some project where they offer their generation capacity on demand if needed by the grid, and to do that they had to upgrade to higher efficiency / lower pollution generators.
(12-20-2018, 01:47 PM)EdM Wrote:
(12-20-2018, 11:35 AM)Ace Wrote: Now I'm really doubting myself. Backup power for the bell building?

That's what it is - Bell hosted an information session about the proposed work some time ago. I think it's part of some project where they offer their generation capacity on demand if needed by the grid, and to do that they had to upgrade to higher efficiency / lower pollution generators.

From the sound of it they'll be powering their own facility to reduce load on the grid but not feeding into the grid.

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r321079...-Kitchener

(12-20-2018, 11:35 AM)Ace Wrote: Some work occurring on Francis today.

Wow, I hope the OCS is dead in that section before they try to lift that up and over.  Wonder if their insurance company was smart enough to realize what's at stake and charge them extra? [tunes in to ION radio...]
(12-20-2018, 12:06 PM)robdrimmie Wrote: They've been doing work on that Bell building since at least last Friday, when I saw them hoisting some I-beams onto the roof of the lower section that's on Francis.

Party pooper. I liked my explanation better.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »