Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
"""
While Redman wouldn't guarantee it will be running by summer, she said the region is "doing everything humanly possible to make that happen."
"""

Well that's concerning.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener...-1.4963299

(The willingness to use Order...er Bill 66 to override the country line by township councillors is similarly frustrating...this province is pathetic).

(01-02-2019, 04:42 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: """
While Redman wouldn't guarantee it will be running by summer, she said the region is "doing everything humanly possible to make that happen."
"""

Well that's concerning.

She's not going to make any date commitments in a media interview, even if CBC asked her to do so, so I personally wouldn't really read anything more into this statement.
I don't know how we can not read into it when the regional chair won't make any kind of firm commitment ION will be less than 18 months late.
(01-02-2019, 04:54 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(01-02-2019, 04:42 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: """
"""

Well that's concerning.

She's not going to make any date commitments in a media interview, even if CBC asked her to do so, so I personally wouldn't really read anything more into this statement.

I know Karen fairly well, and if she's saying she won't guarantee it will be running by summer, it probably won't be running anytime close to summer.

I guess if spring/summer (and summer is fall in the region) is not a go, this means a fall launch (which is winter) won't happen because no one wants a wintery start, so that means spring (which is summer) 2020 start at the earliest.
(01-02-2019, 05:21 PM)jeffster Wrote: I guess if spring/summer (and summer is fall in the region), this means a fall launch (which is winter) won't happen because no one wants a wintery start, so that means spring (which is summer) 2020 start at the earliest.

This is entirely too believable  Confused
A one year delay was a frustrating but tolerable overrun.

The spring launch was made worse by the apparent coverup during the election.

But to say that it won't launch before 2020 is either laughable, or you're aware of fundamental flaws in the system which will come out soon.

But if a 2020 launch is a reality, I won't be here to see it, that much is certain.
Maybe you should wait until the next regional council meeting before you put your condo up for sale?

(01-02-2019, 06:31 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Maybe you should wait until the next regional council meeting before you put your condo up for sale?

I'm kind of assuming we're having meetings in 2019...
(01-02-2019, 06:15 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: A one year delay was a frustrating but tolerable overrun.

The spring launch was made worse by the apparent coverup during the election.

But to say that it won't launch before 2020 is either laughable, or you're aware of fundamental flaws in the system which will come out soon.

But if a 2020 launch is a reality, I won't be here to see it, that much is certain.

Where you going that you won't be able to see it?

As for the other comment, I'm just stating what I believe when I read in-between the lines. It likely won't be launched this spring (summer) and likely won't be launched in the fall (winter) when the snow is flying, as it seems that most, here at WRConnected, The Record and politicians can't stomach a cold weather launch. That would put us up to sometime in 2020.
(01-02-2019, 05:21 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(01-02-2019, 04:54 PM)tomh009 Wrote: She's not going to make any date commitments in a media interview, even if CBC asked her to do so, so I personally wouldn't really read anything more into this statement.

I know Karen fairly well, and if she's saying she won't guarantee it will be running by summer, it probably won't be running anytime close to summer.

I guess if spring/summer (and summer is fall in the region) is not a go, this means a fall launch (which is winter) won't happen because no one wants a wintery start, so that means spring (which is summer) 2020 start at the earliest.

She can't commit to having it up and running by summer because she can't commit to any timeline. 2020 is a huge stretch and a lot of huge things would have to go wrong for 2020 to be the date. Especially since the last group of drivers start training this month.
In the highly unlikely case that it drags into late 2019, I think everyone will take a cold-weather launch rather than a delay.
I can’t believe how much people are over-reading Karen’s comment.

What would you have done if she had said “I can’t guarantee there will not be a dinosaur attack tomorrow”? Would you run away screaming that there might be a dinosaur attack?
(01-03-2019, 01:09 PM)Canard Wrote: I can’t believe how much people are over-reading Karen’s comment.

What would you have done if she had said “I can’t guarantee there will not be a dinosaur attack tomorrow”? Would you run away screaming that there might be a dinosaur attack?

Indeed. I think it would be prudent to see the council report before saying something (say, if I were RC and on the radio).

The question is whether there's something we didn't imagine that could be causing additional delays. Well, sure, there might be a dinosaur attack, but no one expects a dinosaur attack.

These posts are hilarious! I’m glad my wish for more humor on this site is coming true.
I'd be a bit more concerned about that statement if she were the CEO of InGen though.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »