Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
Well, we're getting practice with snow procedures. Sort of. I thought the LRVs were supposed to clear the tracks but I saw a RailTerm truck with a plow near midtown today.

Strictly conjecture on my part, but I wonder if it’s because the vehicles are still the property of Bombardier, and they don’t want to necessarily task them with pushing snow? That could cause damage and scratches, which could then cause issues at acceptance and handoff.
(01-19-2019, 09:49 PM)Canard Wrote: Strictly conjecture on my part, but I wonder if it’s because the vehicles are still the property of Bombardier, and they don’t want to necessarily task them with pushing snow? That could cause damage and scratches, which could then cause issues at acceptance and handoff.

Sounds plausible. Yet they've done it before during one of the previous snowstorms.
(01-19-2019, 10:00 PM)plam Wrote:
(01-19-2019, 09:49 PM)Canard Wrote: Strictly conjecture on my part, but I wonder if it’s because the vehicles are still the property of Bombardier, and they don’t want to necessarily task them with pushing snow? That could cause damage and scratches, which could then cause issues at acceptance and handoff.

Sounds plausible. Yet they've done it before during one of the previous snowstorms.

They used it as a training exercise.
(01-19-2019, 10:00 PM)plam Wrote: Sounds plausible. Yet they've done it before during one of the previous snowstorms.

I was actually trying to think about this! Last winter, I can't specifically think of any time when there was lots of snow that there was any testing going on. I think it's because (from memory) train movements were very sporadic and under very calculated conditions in January and February of 2018.

I guess we'll find out tomorrow!
From radio comms it seems they only ran snow train for about 1-2 hours around 5pm today after the regular testing/training concluded, and now Railterm is plowing the tracks. No LRV activity
How did they identify the snow trains on the radio? I only ask because generally there is no way to tell they are training operators, we just know that they are. They just call out requests to pass through Cameron, Green, Fairway and Conestoga. Did they somehow say that they were specifically going out to tamp snow?

They used the exact wording that they were going to start “snow train” operations, unless that could be referring to something different...
(01-20-2019, 09:40 AM)Canard Wrote: How did they identify the snow trains on the radio? I only ask because generally there is no way to tell they are training operators, we just know that they are. They just call out requests to pass through Cameron, Green, Fairway and Conestoga. Did they somehow say that they were specifically going out to tamp snow?

This morning, 507 left the yard proceeding south. 507 radioed that some crossings have excessive snow from the road plows. Control then told 507 that they were the snow train for the morning as they were the first out.
504 and 505 are out today for the first time in a while
Oh wow, the radio is finally fixed!

It had been garbled/nearly unintelligible for many, many months. It's now crystal-clear! This is fantastic.
(01-21-2019, 03:45 PM)Canard Wrote: Oh wow, the radio is finally fixed!

It had been garbled/nearly unintelligible for many, many months.  It's now crystal-clear!  This is fantastic.

Can you provide the link please ?
(01-21-2019, 04:17 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote:

It had been garbled/nearly unintelligible for many, many months.  It's now crystal-clear!  This is fantastic.

Can you provide the link please ?

http://cykf.net/Liveatc/Transit.php

(01-21-2019, 04:35 PM)Square Wrote:
(01-21-2019, 04:17 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: Can you provide the link please ?

http://cykf.net/Liveatc/Transit.php

thanks !

Night and day difference from the last time I turned it on.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »