Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(02-13-2019, 12:02 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: So does anyone know, is the ice actually causing contact to be lost with the centenary causing a loss of traction power and that's why it keeps stopping?

Why aren't the lights flickering in that case?

It probably has a battery to run some systems. I know the pantograph can retract so there must be a battery to do that. Unfortunately, a battery to run the traction motors would be rather large (although some systems do have that). I hope this isn’t a regular occurrence — does anybody know if that was the first vehicle for a fairly long time?

(02-13-2019, 07:58 AM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(02-13-2019, 12:02 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: So does anyone know, is the ice actually causing contact to be lost with the centenary causing a loss of traction power and that's why it keeps stopping?

Why aren't the lights flickering in that case?

It probably has a battery to run some systems. I know the pantograph can retract so there must be a battery to do that. Unfortunately, a battery to run the traction motors would be rather large (although some systems do have that). I hope this isn’t a regular occurrence — does anybody know if that was the first vehicle for a fairly long time?

Heard them talking to Control on the radio about losing power. Probably has a battery. They were trying to retract the pantograph and put it back up to get better contact. There were a bunch of LRVs out, but it's probably still less than in regular service.
The signals at the Columbia Ave crossing have been malfunctioning for at least 20 minutes. Lights flashing and bells ringing but arms up. Lots of cars going through. I saw a police car head up there but they were just waiting with all the rest of the traffic.
510 and 513 are coupled and zipping back and forth along the hydro corridor, between Fairway and Courtland. Lovebirds!
1/2 - Saturady, February 16, 2019

Coupled testing of 510 and 513, along the Fairway Hydro Corridor.

Get a room! Heart

2/2 - Saturday, February 19, 2019

Fairway Terminus.

The smartcard stanchion here is different from other stations, in that it has buttons and a display. All the other ones are just a flat plate of metal.

The screen is on!

...as I got closer, I guess my wallet got close enough that it tried to read one of the cards in my pocket.

510 and 513 at Kitchener City Hall.
It's sweet seeing them coupled together.
(02-16-2019, 02:22 PM)Canard Wrote: 2/2 - Saturday, February 19, 2019

Fairway Terminus.

The smartcard stanchion here is different from other stations, in that it has buttons and a display.  All the other ones are just a flat plate of metal.

The screen is on!

...as I got closer, I guess my wallet got close enough that it tried to read one of the cards in my pocket.

510 and 513 at Kitchener City Hall.

Yeah they need to apply the stickers to those readers before the end of March
The flat metal plate is a space filler, there's no electronics under it. By system launch they will all look like the ones you picture here.
When the trains are in a totally isolated area (not in mixed traffic) what kind of speeds will they do? I'm thinking between Mill and Block Line for example
(02-19-2019, 09:31 AM)Spokes Wrote: When the trains are in a totally isolated area (not in mixed traffic) what kind of speeds will they do?  I'm thinking between Mill and Block Line for example

Maximum of 70 km/h

Is that expected to be actually reached, or just that's what they're allowed to go?
(02-19-2019, 12:08 PM)Spokes Wrote: Is that expected to be actually reached, or just that's what they're allowed to go?

In some sections of the ballasted track they will be going that speed, others they will come close. The speed in the embedded sections is restricted to 50 km/h maximum.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »