Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(03-01-2019, 01:20 PM)trainspotter139 Wrote: Considering they haven't started posting this year's monthly ridership numbers yet I have a feeling some resources are tied up planning launch of LRT.

I would hope GRT staff are not that tied up. They've had their new routes planned for more than a year by now and shouldn't be doing more than tweaks. Besides, they have predefined queries (It looked a lot like an MS Access app accessing an MSSSQL server) that they just punch in dates and other parameters to get numbers, so the only work they need to do is make sure they have sanitised the data (e.g. accounted misaligned people counters). That is something they'd need to do to work on any such tweaks anyways and even more necessary for bigger changes. So putting the data on the performance measures web page is just emailing the number to the website team. I'd be very surprised if the GRT staff are directly editing the web page.

(03-01-2019, 02:27 PM)Bytor Wrote: So putting the data on the performance measures web page is just emailing the number to the website team. I'd be very surprised if the GRT staff are directly editing the web page.

I'm going to have to surprise you then. Staff at the region definitely are expected to directly update the website, through their terrible eSolutionsGroup content management system. The website would be in much better shape if there was a web team making the edits.
(03-01-2019, 02:07 PM)jason897 Wrote: From the radio and my own observations it seems we have 504,505,508,509,511 out today! Indication of progress with more than 4 LRVs? Tongue
(I’ve been told my Dec observation was likely inaccurate, which is totally possible)

At least this afternoon, they were only doing stuff in the yard (and one or two out on the alignment). Lots and lots and lots of yard play.
(03-01-2019, 02:35 PM)taylortbb Wrote:
(03-01-2019, 02:27 PM)Bytor Wrote: So putting the data on the performance measures web page is just emailing the number to the website team. I'd be very surprised if the GRT staff are directly editing the web page.

I'm going to have to surprise you then. Staff at the region definitely are expected to directly update the website, through their terrible eSolutionsGroup content management system. The website would be in much better shape if there was a web team making the edits.

Sadly, I am not at all surprised to hear that. However, the way to make it better is not for the “web team” to update the site, but for the stats on the site to update directly from the source data. Automatic data processing is, after all, what computers are for. And the Region (and every other medium to large organization) should have employees of its own who are capable of setting up such automatic systems. Every company is an IT company now.
That’s why they test. Smile
Quote:Galloway said he asked regional staff if any of the work was a "showstopper" that could delay the launch of service, and was assured a spring launch is still planned.

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/920...gion-says/

(03-02-2019, 03:03 PM)Canard Wrote: That’s why they test. Smile

Yeah this issue is the simplest fix.   Tongue
Looks like Ottawa is also getting the "spring 2019" treatment with a third delay. The race really is on now.

https://globalnews.ca/news/5020161/hando...t-delayed/
The more I read about their system, I think we'll be live before them.
Getting back to our own launch date: if we are hoping for late April, then simulated service is supposed to start in about three weeks, since that is supposed to take a month. That is quite soon but feels viable based on what we've heard.

I saw that the Ottawa system looks like it has only 12 days of simulated service...
(03-06-2019, 10:06 AM)plam Wrote: Getting back to our own launch date: if we are hoping for late April, then simulated service is supposed to start in about three weeks, since that is supposed to take a month. That is quite soon but feels viable based on what we've heard.

I saw that the Ottawa system looks like it has only 12 days of simulated service...

I recently heard from someone that they are aiming for early June due to the schedules of important people that need to be present for the opening ceremony (very grand event I hear) and to give themselves a bit of a buffer - even though it might be ready for service sometime in May.
(03-06-2019, 11:01 AM)urbd Wrote:
(03-06-2019, 10:06 AM)plam Wrote: Getting back to our own launch date: if we are hoping for late April, then simulated service is supposed to start in about three weeks, since that is supposed to take a month. That is quite soon but feels viable based on what we've heard.

I recently heard from someone that they are aiming for early June due to the schedules of important people that need to be present for the opening ceremony (very grand event I hear) and to give themselves a bit of a buffer - even though it might be ready for service sometime in May.

You can and probably should have a grand opening after a soft opening, especially for a system of this complexity. You can simulate service all you want, but having actual passengers is not quite the same. Then again, I guess that for other transit systems, grand opening has been soft opening too.

(03-06-2019, 11:01 AM)urbd Wrote:

The schedules of those important people are mostly flexible and can be changed on a whim if needed. Especially those of the Federal and Provincial politicians that would be in attendance.
(03-06-2019, 12:25 PM)trainspotter139 Wrote:
(03-06-2019, 11:01 AM)urbd Wrote: I recently heard from someone that they are aiming for early June due to the schedules of important people that need to be present for the opening ceremony (very grand event I hear) and to give themselves a bit of a buffer - even though it might be ready for service sometime in May.

The schedules of those important people are mostly flexible and can be changed on a whim if needed. Especially those of the Federal and Provincial politicians that would be in attendance.

Mostly flexible? Not if you have meetings or important events scheduled in other provinces or countries or if you have other mandataries coming here to meet with you. I'm just saying what someone told me, that's all.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »