Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(04-17-2019, 10:26 AM)KevinT Wrote:
(04-16-2019, 08:27 PM)tomh009 Wrote: 501 hasn't made a post-refurb appearance yet, has it?

To the best of my knowledge, no.

501 is starting to sound a lot like the Space Shuttle Enterprise. First one made and tested, but never actually used. Though I doubt that would be the case, being that we need 2 spares.

(04-18-2019, 01:07 AM)jeffster Wrote:
(04-17-2019, 10:26 AM)KevinT Wrote: To the best of my knowledge, no.

501 is starting to sound a lot like the Space Shuttle Enterprise. First one made and tested, but never actually used. Though I doubt that would be the case, being that we need 2 spares.

we only need 12 with PAC for a spring start (10 for revenue service and 2 spares). The other 2 can take a bit longer if they need to before September Service changes when 12+2 will be needed.
However, doing the burn-in/testing (with 501 or otherwise) will get somewhat more difficult once revenue service starts!
(04-18-2019, 11:53 AM)tomh009 Wrote: However, doing the burn-in/testing (with 501 or otherwise) will get somewhat more difficult once revenue service starts!

overnight burn-in/testing? Tongue
(04-18-2019, 11:58 AM)jason897 Wrote:
(04-18-2019, 11:53 AM)tomh009 Wrote: However, doing the burn-in/testing (with 501 or otherwise) will get somewhat more difficult once revenue service starts!

exactly... haven't there been a few sights of LRVs during current testing running past 1 am? I'm pretty sure i've seen them around midnight at least.
Hey, at least 501 through 503 weren’t destroyed before completion, and 504 didn’t mysteriously vanish shortly after being made operational.
(04-18-2019, 11:58 AM)jason897 Wrote:

Or just run it not in service. But overnight has a certain elegance to it.

(04-18-2019, 02:14 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: Hey, at least 501 through 503 weren’t destroyed before completion, and 504 didn’t mysteriously vanish shortly after being made operational.

iunderstoodthatreference.gif

Not really. You can pretty much just slot them in wherever. The signalling system is designed to accommodate that. mid-peak and evenings however would be less affected by random out-of-service trains.
(04-18-2019, 01:07 AM)jeffster Wrote: 501 is starting to sound a lot like the Space Shuttle Enterprise. First one made and tested, but never actually used. Though I doubt that would be the case, being that we need 2 spares.

Actually, Enterprise was used extensively, just not in space. Per Wikipedia:

Quote:Rolled out on September 17, 1976, it was built for NASA as part of the Space Shuttle program to perform atmospheric test flights after being launched from a modified Boeing 747. It was constructed without engines or a functional heat shield, and was therefore not capable of spaceflight.

501 is a fully functional vehicle, we just took it early to perform fit tests of the OMSF and then it went back for completion. Why it hasn't been out since it returned is anybody's guess.
(04-18-2019, 02:51 PM)KevinL Wrote:
(04-18-2019, 02:14 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: Hey, at least 501 through 503 weren’t destroyed before completion, and 504 didn’t mysteriously vanish shortly after being made operational.

iunderstoodthatreference.gif

The year is 1890. The place is King Street East in front of Kitchener City Hall.

On the tracks of the Berlin & Waterloo Street Railway stands an impossibly long, low, and sleek vehicle, already attracting a crowd of curious onlookers. Two employees of the B&WSR enter through an open door, not event needing to climb a single step to board. At on end of the car, a strangely dressed man turns to face them and speaks.

“I welcome you and present this light rail vehicle to you as a gift. I am called Galloway, and we have much work ahead of us.”
The two B&WSR workers stare and him, and finally turn to each other. One speaks.

“We certainly do. Where are we going to hire enough horses to haul this thing out of the way?”

“That won't even help,” replies the other. “Our rails have warped and sunk under its weight. Light, he calls it?”

A day later, a work crew has been assembled, and the Berlin & Waterloo lays new tracks around the slowly sinking hulk. (It's not like putting down rails takes years of work. No one would believe that.)
Another ridiculous article about LRT extension to Cambridge..

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/929...cambridge/

I love how she talks about her area of Preston being a small quite villiage. Then at the end of the article they quote her saying..

""This is a really busy area to start with," she said. "To put another kind of transit in here is just beyond realistic."

Ok, is it quiet or is it really busy ?

(04-23-2019, 08:16 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote: Another ridiculous article about LRT extension to Cambridge..

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/929...cambridge/

I love how she talks about her area of Preston being a small quite villiage.  Then at the end of the article they quote her saying..

""This is a really busy area to start with," she said. "To put another kind of transit in here is just beyond realistic."

Ok, is it quite or is it really busy ?

Don't you understand?!  It's whatever it has to be at any given time to support an argument opposing change!

Change is the real enemy, and if we only hope hard enough, things will stay exactly the same as they've ever been long enough to die in peace (because she's not 73 and alive when there were LRTs in town before).

*sigh*...it's a sad irony that the era of bad planning saw fit to jam so many bad choices down people's throats that the backlash is preventing any good choices from being made.
That kind of argument isn't new. I've often seen it about bike lanes: "This road is too busy for bikes" / "There's no need for bike lanes here because there isn't much traffic".
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »