Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(06-18-2019, 04:17 PM)urbd Wrote:
(06-18-2019, 12:14 AM)Bob_McBob Wrote: WRPS:

WA19141105-MVC PERSONAL INJURY
Posted Monday, 17 June, 2019
Incident #: WA19141105
Incident Date: Jun 17, 2019 11:12:00 PM

(06-18-2019, 12:58 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote: Did anyone ever figure out what actually happened at Erb and Caroline last night?

I live very close to there and I heard tires screeching at that time, and it was a looooong screech! I didn't hear any actual crash, so my guess is that a pedestrian or bike got hit by the car. That stretch along Caroline is pretty much a slide for cars: with 3.5 lanes of one way traffic, a slight curve, and on a downward slope. Recipe for disaster. Can't wait until these highway-roads are turned into two way streets again.

Whatever it was, it happened on the Shopify (south) side of Caroline. Saw a tow truck lifting a car (that was facing the Erb / Caroline intersection) onto it. Didn't look banged up, so not sure what happened

Kitchener council has approved buying the land for the Traynor crossing.

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/944...or-avenue/
Also, saw this on Reddit  Big Grin

[Image: rQXbHIO.png]
OK, this has nothing directly to do with ION, but one of the vehicles actually crossed the tracks on Charles to hit another head on. How could this happen unless it was deliberate? Head-on crash in downtown Kitchener
(06-18-2019, 05:14 PM)GtwoK Wrote: Whatever it was, it happened on the Shopify (south) side of Caroline. Saw a tow truck lifting a car (that was facing the Erb / Caroline intersection) onto it. Didn't look banged up, so not sure what happened

If it’s the same flatbed truck I saw, the car on the truck had a smashed front corner. It also towed a second car behind it with a smashed back corner. So I’m guessing one car hit the other, with no train involvement other than the collision happening in the intersection where the tracks cross.
Acitta Wrote:OK, this has nothing directly to do with ION, but one of the vehicles actually crossed the tracks on Charles to hit another head on. How could this happen unless it was deliberate? Head-on crash in downtown Kitchener

That's some extremely erratic driving, yikes.
(06-18-2019, 06:12 PM)Acitta Wrote: OK, this has nothing directly to do with ION, but one of the vehicles actually crossed the tracks on Charles to hit another head on. How could this happen unless it was deliberate? Head-on crash in downtown Kitchener

Maybe a medical condition such as a seizure or a heart attack?

Or distracted driving...

(06-18-2019, 06:12 PM)Acitta Wrote: OK, this has nothing directly to do with ION, but one of the vehicles actually crossed the tracks on Charles to hit another head on. How could this happen unless it was deliberate? Head-on crash in downtown Kitchener

Please read my previous posts; it explains why this happens.
(06-18-2019, 07:14 PM)bgb_ca Wrote:

Maybe a medical condition such as a seizure or a heart attack?

Or distracted driving...

Or impaired driving.  Or making a left turn across the tracks.
Updated report on CTV says that the driver of the pickup was charged with careless driving.
Acitta Wrote:Updated report on CTV says that the driver of the pickup was charged with careless driving.

What is that, a $500 fine?

Looking at the picture, it's easy to imagine that nincompoop making a similar error in another situation and killing someone or multiple someones. It was lucky that the action was here and hopefully driving over the LRT tracks in the process of colliding head-on with another vehicle slowed his truck down. And the charge is "careless driving." What a joke.
(06-19-2019, 07:43 AM)MidTowner Wrote:
Acitta Wrote:Updated report on CTV says that the driver of the pickup was charged with careless driving.

What is that, a $500 fine?

Looking at the picture, it's easy to imagine that nincompoop making a similar error in another situation and killing someone or multiple someones. It was lucky that the action was here and hopefully driving over the LRT tracks in the process of colliding head-on with another vehicle slowed his truck down. And the charge is "careless driving." What a joke.

According to https://www.ontariotraffictickets.com/ca...g-penalty/:

* fine $490 to $2,000
* loss of six (6) demerit points
* mandatory licence suspension for novice drivers
* possible six (6) month suspension for all drivers
* serious offences possible six (6) months in jail

This crash seems to have caused an injury. The penalties for careless driving causing bodily harm or death are greater. The fine is $2,000 to $50,000, with a suspension of up to five years, and up to two years in jail.

You know almost nothing about what happened, but you think that a charge of careless driving is a joke. What else would you charge them with?
timc Wrote:
Quote:According to https://www.ontariotraffictickets.com/ca...g-penalty/:

* fine $490 to $2,000

This crash seems to have caused an injury. The penalties for careless driving causing bodily harm or death are greater. The fine is $2,000 to $50,000, with a suspension of up to five years, and up to two years in jail.

You know almost nothing about what happened, but you think that a charge of careless driving is a joke. What else would you charge them with?

A couple of things:

One, I am not specifically saying that "the police should not have laid that charge; I would have laid a different charge." The framework is what's broken, not necessarily the way police work within it. I concede that they don't have a lot of options, and so wind up charging someone with making an improper turn (fine: $110) when he runs over someone on a bike (see this article).

Two, "careless driving" and "careless driving causing bodily harm or death" are two different charges, and the former is what he was charged with. The latter is new as of less than a year ago, so maybe it's not being used widely yet.

In any case, I'll eat my hat if we read an article six months from now stating that this guy has been sentenced to actual jail time, or even a six month suspension.

(06-19-2019, 11:04 AM)MidTowner Wrote: A couple of things:

One, I am not specifically saying that "the police should not have laid that charge; I would have laid a different charge." The framework is what's broken, not necessarily the way police work within it. I concede that they don't have a lot of options, and so wind up charging someone with making an improper turn (fine: $110) when he runs over someone on a bike (see this article).

Two, "careless driving" and "careless driving causing bodily harm or death" are two different charges, and the former is what he was charged with. The latter is new as of less than a year ago, so maybe it's not being used widely yet.

In any case, I'll eat my hat if we read an article six months from now stating that this guy has been sentenced to actual jail time, or even a six month suspension.

I've got a hat I will also eat.
(06-19-2019, 10:02 AM)timc Wrote:
(06-19-2019, 07:43 AM)MidTowner Wrote: What is that, a $500 fine?

According to https://www.ontariotraffictickets.com/ca...g-penalty/:

* fine $490 to $2,000

I'll put it out there: Reckless driving, which is a serious offence as opposed to careless driving. If people are driving like this, it's not "careless", it's reckless. Call it as it is, let the court sort it out. Eventually people will stop being idiots if they know the consequences are serious.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »