Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
Walked along the route from the Huron Spur to King / Victoria yesterday. Took some photos and made a few obvservations;

It appears that the original plan for NB left-turn / straight and right-turn lanes on Borden at Courtland were scrapped? Here's the plans and the final intersection.

[Image: wXsgRvr.png][Image: nqVeTlff-YgsM17PVG3x7e6-brhFpp0QTREWmlmU...7-h1025-no][Image: Xgeqr8FYcdKnRGzLJ-oS5YzbHRcgs82VLda_uddh...7-h1025-no]

There's only one lane both directions here. This poor corner house's lawn was decimated though Sad
It also occurred to me that they will most likely have to complete the Mill / Ottawa road crossings before laying the track fro Borden. There seems to be a significant grade difference between the CN tracks / Borden atm—the tracks are up on a ridge. Wondering how/when they will fix that.

The remainder of Borden is still in serious disrepair, nothing really has changed here. Anyone know when they plan to work on this further / what still needs to be done?

[Image: F0A0vV1GPu_ZSqYbOuQrPiCg_y8nceNRfwBwXtW_...7-h1025-no]

The Huron Spur doesn't look like it's been touched. Saw the bridge for the first time though, and it's quite impressive. I just noticed that the bridge they've built is actually for the CN tracks, and once those are moved they will construct a SECOND bridge for the Ion tracks — is there a time frame for that? I suppose they'll need to complete all the grade work here first since the bridge is significantly higher than the grade right now. Not sure why they didn't just build it lower.

Charles at Borden / Stirling looking very gross, but you can tell how the road will be realigned at least now. Stirling has been destroyed and the turn segment finally removed. They were in the middle of building the Substation next to Grand River Rocks while I was walking there last night. I imagine more will be done here once that is finished.

[Image: JO0DGbfqWRA_9I6v_20_9kVRBuI5DctsN-RZ3Oqs...73-h561-no]

(Side note: what the hell are these blocks they've built? The substation is on the opposite side, and I don't see these on the plans.)

Charles up til Benton is looking the same as it ever was, nothing to see here. The work on Eby has left a giant hole in the ground in the middle of this intersection though.

Charles Ontario is ripped apart. The Ion blog indicates this was supposed to be completely finished over a month ago. Wonder what could have caused such a delay. They retorn this up multiple times now, have they not?

[Image: 08ow0Lwrvtu0F5Hq-QVd6rWYifvCHmPR-P3TlKT9...7-h1025-no]

Also, at the Manulife Building, this strange concrete form as been poured underground. No idea what that would be for.

[Image: xm2wK5ymxAyM38bZYCIsg8lGOQq_erClTS6jbUao...73-h658-no]
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by GtwoK - 08-21-2015, 03:37 PM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM