Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(09-01-2015, 01:09 PM)MidTowner Wrote:
(09-01-2015, 11:48 AM)chutten Wrote: Going West on Victoria would bring some nice aesthetic value to maps as it will echo the 7/8/85 Conestoga Parkway route in a pleasant fashion.

I'm a little confused as to how it would be placed, though. The road is too narrow for double tracks and grade separation. Alternatively, I wonder how difficult it would be to get the right to widen and redevelop the existing rail segment (and put stops along it).

Most of it is four lanes and a turning lane, except for the stretch between Park and Belmont. I wonder what the actual right-of-way is, though- isn't it normal for the municipality to have a rather wide corridor along streets like this, for future widening?

It's to Lawrence, actually. According to the Region's GIS Locator (Silverlight. Eurgh), there's at least 20m between the lots along the narrow stretch (from 286 across to 281 seems narrowest to my eyeballs), and that matches the spacing along the wider stretches as well. So there's no right-of-way reason I can see preventing a Victoria unification (other than I'm not sure they could keep the bike lanes).

King St seems to have 25m widths along the LRT portions. That extra space might be necessary.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by chutten - 09-01-2015, 01:49 PM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM