Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
The more I think about it, the less likely I think that the final solution will be a spring switch.  I'm keying in on that interior plate that is bolted along the rail - my first reaction was that it was a spring switch at the "exit" side of the station/gauntlet (since why have switch gear there when it's not really required - save some $$$).  But it appears that the entrance side also has that same plate bolted along the inside. Actually - I know what that is... that's to permanently bolt the flexible portion of rail in position, because the switch gear might not be installed for another year or so. So they've just permanently lashed the rail in position for future use by freight.

A tip if you're looking to get to the R&T Station - since you can't park anywhere on the R&T Lots since they're all private/secure/whatever, if you go down Columbia and go into the University just West of the tracks, there's about 20 spots there with meters for $1/hour.  It's right next to the Laurel Trail, so you can park there and walk North/South along there and get a great view of what's going on in the area.  That's what I did this morning.

Here are a couple more photos of what the (tamped) track now looks like behind McCormic Arena, all nice and straight.  I have a regular "weekend run" that I do from North to South to stop in at all my favourite construction spots.  Smile

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by Canard - 09-12-2015, 10:05 PM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM