Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(11-27-2015, 01:47 PM)timio Wrote: Duke and Water will be closing on Monday until December 21.  I'm glad to see GrandLinq getting as much as they can done before the ground freezes.

The long range forecast looks like above zero highs until at least mid-December, so they may be able to stretch the season a bit more than usual, with any luck.

(11-27-2015, 12:46 PM)Markster Wrote: The point is that if they are thinking about things like The Chime, then they are thinking about other finer details too, like bench placement or wayfinding, or other things that may be more "concrete" in the literal sense.  The chime doesn't matter, what matters is that they're thinking.

The cars ordered for ION have been in use in LRTs, trams and commuter trains around the world for many years. I'd urge the "experts" to ask those transit operators about these sorts of details, e.g. what they like and what they wish they could change, long before I'd want our local "experts" to design a "better" mouse-traphuman car just to be different or just to flex their creative muscles.
(11-27-2015, 02:13 PM)ookpik Wrote: The cars ordered for ION have been in use in LRTs, trams and commuter trains around the world for many years. I'd urge the "experts" to ask those transit operators about these sorts of details, e.g. what they like and what they wish they could change, long before I'd want our local "experts" to design a "better" mouse-traphuman car just to be different or just to flex their creative muscles.

I'd urge for the same conversation.

We have a partner who is responsible for designing, building and operating this system. They are not intrinsically responsible for it being an attractive system beyond what's specified in the contract and what is asked for by the region. So Project Co could have tons of real world expertise on the kind of polish that can be applied to a tram line. They do not necessarily have the incentive to independently apply that knowledge.

If it's a healthy relationship, then there should be a healthy dialogue going on between region and GrandLinq about what is possible and what is recommended. And we should be seeing some signs of that.
A positive Ion article from The Record.

http://m.therecord.com/opinion-story/613...-kitchener
Canard, I find your comments pretty interesting. I don't think things like the chime are super pressing matters but given this is a thread on an online forum about the LRT it seems like a reasonable thing to mention.
I took a ride down Charles from Stirling today, it's paved close to the intersection with Borden.

They had tarps covering most of the newly poured concrete and some heaters pumping hot air under the tarps, gotta keep it warm.

It's looks like ~500 metres of completed track once this pavement is cured, I think. It's a pretty nice speedbump on courtland with the asphalt right now.  Seems the bridge over the creek is covered with dirt again so it's passable.

I also took a picture of the right-of-way looking toward the expressway from Ottawa St. it's quite the big strip of land. The old commercial/light industrial building that faces the tracks is empty and would be a nice plot of land to redevelop, hopefully something nice gets done with... it's covered in crappy graffiti right now.
Are you sure that the industrial building beside the future Mill station is empty? I thought it was still being used, but absolutely it would be a good site for some mid-density residential.

Not sure at all, it just seems like the signs for the old businesses that I remember are all gone but it being a Saturday it's not surprising that it looked abandoned.
I noticed this morning that the Construction Updates link on rideion.ca has changed from linking to the not really updated Tumblr account to the bi-weekly e-mail updates. It's all the same information, just a bit more streamlined.
One week later - let's try this again. Kitchener Market station:

[Image: AyloN1A.png]

[Image: ppsYuP1.png]
Track on the North side of Northfield is now connected to the Southbound alignment - still a temporary setup.

Conduit and equipment box behind Albert McCormic Arena.

Future R&T Park Station.

At University of Waterloo, some kind of paved road is being put down on the other side of the fences that the University just put up.  Is this a maintenance access road or something for the track?

Work in Uptown Waterloo on Caroline continues.  Here's the Willis Way platform.

Trackwork also continues South on Caroline.

Crossing at Borden/Courtland:

The bridge on Borden, filled back in now.  When I talked to the folks at the PCC they said there was a lot of soil contamination found around MTD.  So maybe that's why this section is taking so long.

One last shot of Borden.

Two shots of Charles.  It's open now in both directions, with a turnaround loop at Borden (you have to turn around, no connection to Borden, except through the Tim Horton's lot).

That's it for today. It's a beautiful morning!
Can anyone explain what the track layout seen in Canard's "Future R&T Park Station" picture is for? Is it somehow related to the station, or is it just a coincidence they occur together here?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »