Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
Hi jwilliamson, it's called gauntlet track.  It permits the freight trains that use this line to bump out a little bit, so they don't clip the canopy or platform edge.  All of the stations on the spur lines will have this feature, on the Southbound track.

(11-29-2015, 12:29 PM)Canard Wrote: At University of Waterloo, some kind of paved road is being put down on the other side of the fences that the University just put up.  Is this a maintenance access road or something for the track?

It is the multi-use trail, now re-instated north of University. It was there for many years before LRT construction began. Actually I have been wondering when the section from Seagram to University will be re-instated. It has been closed for several months, which I can’t see happening to a road unless it truly needed to be closed for that length of time.

Thanks for more great photos. I live near the Caroline St. trackage and have been very pleased to see that go in. I’ve now driven across the tracks to get on to Father David Bauer Drive a couple of times.
(11-29-2015, 12:44 PM)Canard Wrote: Hi jwilliamson, it's called gauntlet track.  It permits the freight trains that use this line to bump out a little bit, so they don't clip the canopy or platform edge.  All of the stations on the spur lines will have this feature, on the Southbound track.

Good to know. Thanks for the great photos.
(11-25-2015, 05:04 PM)kps Wrote:
(11-25-2015, 04:41 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Is there any doubt but that the ion door chime should be the first seven notes of the "Chicken Dance" song?  Smile

I vote for  http://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/a...hp?aid=586

[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ][/url]

Like the Rick Astley click bait!   Confused
Photo 
A bit of fun:

Everyone probably knows this map of the ION route:

But how many 'naked' metro maps of major cities can you identify on the following page?

http://www.theguardian.com/cities/2015/n...metro-maps

I got 10 out of 11 correct.  I only screwed up on map number 9.   Can anyone get all 11 correct?
(11-30-2015, 01:03 PM)jgsz Wrote: A bit of fun:

Everyone probably knows this map of the ION route:

But how many 'naked' metro maps of major cities can you identify on the following page?

http://www.theguardian.com/cities/2015/n...metro-maps

I got 10 out of 11 correct.  I only screwed up on map number 9.   Can anyone get all 11 correct?

I also got 10.  Missed #5.
8/11 ... but number 9 was easy for me, by process of elimination. I messed up on some of the others though. Sad

I missed 5 too.
7/11

A few fairly random guesses there.
I'm surprised that so many people get the BART wrong; that's one of the ones I got no problem.
Missed #9, since the article explicitly says it excludes inter-city systems.
Missed BART because even though it's a heavy rail metro, it operates at shitty frequencies that are more akin to what GO RER will be like.
(11-29-2015, 12:29 PM)Canard Wrote: At University of Waterloo, some kind of paved road is being put down on the other side of the fences that the University just put up.  Is this a maintenance access road or something for the track?
[Image: attachment.php?aid=597]

That's no road.

That's a space station.

-- I mean, that's the Laurel Trail.  They tore it up at the beginning of the summer to make space for the double track and an access road to do the work. And now they've put it back.  It's a few metres to the west of it's old location.

It was very frustrating that the University was tearing up the sidewalk on Ring Road while the trail was still closed. I had been using that sidewalk as a replacement for the trail.
(11-30-2015, 01:59 PM)Markster Wrote: 7/11

A few fairly random guesses there.
I'm surprised that so many people get the BART wrong; that's one of the ones I got no problem.

And the map clearly is not St Petersburg or Sao Paulo, so it's got to be San Francisco.

I got 10/11 purely by guessing and process of elimination, e.g. some cities have a long history with subways and thus a dense underground network.
So it goes LRT, Laurel Trail, Fence, Ring Road, Sidewalk? That's weird.

I got 10/11. Missed #2. Sad but I hate Moscows metro so I've never paid much attention to it. So old-looking and frilly. I'm a Washington DC/Montreal fanboy. Smile
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »