Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(01-13-2016, 01:19 PM)Markster Wrote: Well, those "as required based on collisions" ones are in places where there is nothing "out of the ordinary" about the track alignment.  It's no different than a lane of regular traffic, except that it's a vehicle on rails instead of asphalt.

Indeed. I think there is a definite double standard around LRT safety. They have to be extra super safe, not just reasonably safe, in a way that is never required of anything related to ordinary road construction.

Having said that, I speculate that people have trouble really internalizing what it means to have a transit lane. I speculate that they don’t think of it as a traffic lane, so don’t properly check, explaining all those left-turn collisions that we see on YouTube. I wonder if a proper BRT would have the same problem.

(01-13-2016, 01:19 PM)Markster Wrote: Toronto's new streetcars weigh about 48,200 kg (source)
The LRV we'll be getting is a little larger, maybe ~65,000 kg
Meanwhile tractor trailers are allowed to be 49,500 kg (source) in Ontario.

I believe our vehicles will be almost identical to the Toronto streetcars. Certainly I understand that is the case with respect to overall size and length.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by ijmorlan - 01-13-2016, 09:55 PM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM