Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
Ok, I guess I'm just really picky. Smile I personally think wooden poles are the absolutely most hideous thing on the face of the planet, especially when you get a long row of them, they just make this wall of crooked disgusting misalignment that looks 100 years out of date.

(04-19-2016, 05:09 PM)Canard Wrote: Ok, I guess I'm just really picky. Smile I personally think wooden poles are the absolutely most hideous thing on the face of the planet, especially when you get a long row of them, they just make this wall of crooked disgusting misalignment that looks 100 years out of date.

Waterloo North Hydro LOVES wooden utility poles including for streetlights with overhead wiring (not underground) along arterials. Kitchener Wilmot Hydro has traditionally favoured concrete utility poles including using underground wiring to concrete poles for streetlights, but even they recently (last 2-3 years) have switched to wooden utility poles as their standard. Waterloo North Hydro only seems to use concrete poles for streetlights in new subdivisions. I would not be surprised if the pole line reconstruction along King Street between Union and William is with ugly wooden poles. The old poles here were concrete, but were likely 40+ years old and from a time when Waterloo North Hydro was more willing to use nice things.

I really hope all the new utility and lighting work being done for the LRT will make Waterloo North Hydro explore using concrete poles, especially in the more urban portions of the route such as along King between John and William. But I wouldn't hold your breath.You can likely expect their controversial ( http://www.wnhydro.com/en/your-home/reso...earned.pdf ) wooden obtrusive pole line conversion being done in the Uptown West and Westmount neighbourhoods to spill over to King Street ...
(04-19-2016, 05:09 PM)Canard Wrote: Ok, I guess I'm just really picky. Smile I personally think wooden poles are the absolutely most hideous thing on the face of the planet, especially when you get a long row of them, they just make this wall of crooked disgusting misalignment that looks 100 years out of date.

I like the look of wooden poles, it breaks up having to look at nothing but concrete and metal.

Wooden Poles have a much longer life span than concrete poles.  They are renewable and don't leave the carbon footprint of cement poles...just food for thought.  Kitchener Wilmot hydro is getting away from cement poles.  Look at the corrosion of the pole along Ottawa Street South, they are  literally disintegrating before your eyes during the winter.
The aforementioned wooden pole in front of Wildfire:

Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
OMG, I can't believe anyone with any sense of design would say they like the above wooden pole more than a steel or concrete one. I can't even.
Oh thank god we're on a new page so I don't have to see them anymore.

Please enjoy some photos of not wooden hydro poles.

(04-19-2016, 09:17 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: The aforementioned wooden pole in front of Wildfire:

The answer is very simple,  just very expensive, underground !!
A quick glance to the left while driving past King/Victoria today suggested the lack of any structure at the former site of the dome.
(04-19-2016, 09:17 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: The aforementioned wooden pole in front of Wildfire:

Not sure what that pole would be for. It's not replacing any other poles. Perhaps temporary pole to support the wires of the streetlights?

https://goo.gl/maps/BzebUMPuBGA2

Someone in a wheelchair needs to file a complaint. There is nothing more awesome (from a safe distance) than a bureaucrat fight.
It looks like there is enough room to wheel around the left side of that pole.
If I can break into the discussion a bit, I have photos from this morning! I took a bit of a hike along Ottawa and Charles this morning, from Mill to about Cameron.

First, new work at the Mill intersection.

[Image: ztEUm3v.jpg]

[Image: 19T7uLh.jpg]

[Image: GgYbzT1.jpg]

But the real heavy work starts at Courtland.

[Image: KTouEdB.jpg]

[Image: d0RRq5L.jpg]

[Image: IXYplL0.jpg]

[Image: Bhmb12K.jpg]
And it continues right around the corner onto Charles.

[Image: si5430m.jpg]

[Image: rKERwkz.jpg]

Oh look, here's the Borden track.

[Image: TUtkQuN.jpg]

[Image: p5tNtlp.jpg]
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »