Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
Here is the official statement from GrandLinq:

Quote:The LRT track and CN Freight share the track through this area. There are also very steep ditches along the track that require us to meet certain standards with our fencing . Transport Canada regulations state that we must use chain link fence as opposed to rope in these areas.

Nonetheless, Along the track, between Columbia Street and Erb Street (through the UOW and Waterloo Park), we will install a 1.5m High “Black Vinyl” Chain Link Fence, not galvanized. This was decision made in coordination with the City and the Region of waterloo.

Horray. I can't even begin to fathom how hideous this is going to be through the beautifully futuristic buildings of UoW, too.

Such a shame.

(04-20-2016, 04:32 PM)Canard Wrote: Here is the official statement from GrandLinq:

Quote:The LRT track  and CN Freight share the track through this area. There are also very steep ditches along the track that require us to meet certain standards with our fencing . Transport Canada regulations state that we must use chain link fence as opposed to rope in these areas.

Nonetheless, Along the track,  between Columbia Street and Erb Street (through the UOW and Waterloo Park), we will install a 1.5m High “Black Vinyl” Chain Link Fence, not galvanized. This was decision made in coordination with the City and the Region of waterloo.

Horray.  I can't even begin to fathom how hideous this is going to be through the beautifully futuristic buildings of UoW, too.

Such a shame.

I wonder if Jay Aissa/Jay Fencing are putting the chain link fence up.  Big Grin
Is there no other fencing material that is as safe, but has better aesthetics? I really hope somebody thought outside the box.
Ornamental wire fence easily comes to mind shortly outside said box.
(04-20-2016, 02:09 PM)Markster Wrote: When they say "some fencing may be decor, city and Reg discuss optns" I'm afraid that I'm imagining decoration of the chain link fence, not replacement with a more decorative one.

Much like this one in downtown:

Certainly not my preferred outcome.

Off-topic, but I can never pass that gap without wishing that Manulife would put a nice office extension in the form of a black glass box on that site - let a bit of light in for the folks not lucky enough to work near the new windows being put into the back part of the complex!
So, for the fun of it, a list of intersections / streets where work is still to begin:

Victoria: King to Charles
King: Victoria to Francis
Frederick: Duke to Charles
Ottawa: Courtland to Mill
Erb/Caroline (I know work has started, but it was paved over for the winter.)

Did I miss anything?
I walked past the work at Charles and Queen today and noticed that the dig had uncovered what looked like a section of an old concrete foundation and a quantity of old red bricks - remnants of the old arena, I assume?

(04-20-2016, 10:34 PM)panamaniac Wrote: I walked past the work at Charles and Queen today and noticed that the dig had uncovered what looked like a section of an old concrete foundation and a quantity of old red bricks - remnants of the old arena, I assume?

That is actually a unbelievably rare corduroy road done by an obscure sect known as the Masonry Mennonites.
(04-20-2016, 10:57 PM)eizenstriet Wrote:
(04-20-2016, 10:34 PM)panamaniac Wrote: I walked past the work at Charles and Queen today and noticed that the dig had uncovered what looked like a section of an old concrete foundation and a quantity of old red bricks - remnants of the old arena, I assume?

That is actually a unbelievably rare corduroy road done by an obscure sect known as the Masonry Mennonites.

lol - fortunately, the old auditorium is well enough documented that I don't think anyone will be calling for an archaeological dig!  I should see if I can salvage one of the bricks and offer it to the Waterloo Region Museum.!
It was an old arena in fact.

http://www.theaud.ca/en/aboutus/history.asp.
(04-20-2016, 01:44 PM)Canard Wrote:  2/2 post cntrc. and LRV testing, some fencing may be decor, city and Regdiscuss optns.

Why would they install one type of fence only to potentially rip it out and install another type of fence?
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
(04-20-2016, 11:10 PM)Pheidippides Wrote:
(04-20-2016, 01:44 PM)Canard Wrote:  2/2 post cntrc. and LRV testing, some fencing may be decor, city and Regdiscuss optns.

Why would they install one type of fence only to potentially rip it out and install another type of fence?

"some", "may".

If there is to be a second fence, I'm guessing Grandlinq has no intention of paying for it.
Exactly; I think this is a lot like buying a house, finding out the builder is only giving you a basic kitchen countertop and fixtures. You say "but I want a granite countertop!" And they say "ok, but we'll back charge you and delay closing by 3 months." And you say "oh. Never mind, I'll do it myself."

I just hope we don't "move in" and decide the crappy countertop and fixtures are actually ok and never bother with the granite.

(04-20-2016, 11:07 PM)Elmira Guy Wrote: It was an old arena in fact.

http://www.theaud.ca/en/aboutus/history.asp.

Yes.  I remember my mother mentioning that she used to go skating there as a teenager.
(04-20-2016, 10:16 PM)timio Wrote: So, for the fun of it, a list of intersections / streets where work is still to begin:

Victoria: King to Charles
King: Victoria to Francis
Frederick: Duke to Charles
Ottawa: Courtland to Mill
Erb/Caroline (I know work has started, but it was paved over for the winter.)

Did I miss anything?

Duke, Victoria to Breithaupt. They're currently installing a switch just to the east, which looks like it's intended to divert the rail line a bit (further) north while they re-grade for the overpass approach.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »