Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
Ottawa, Caroline to Mill is well under way now, is it not? Was by on the weekend and could see from Courtland/Borden that it's closed and traffic is detoured onto Borden as a result.

Lots of traction now on Twitter about the fence. Let's keep up the good work and get change effected here!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Statement from <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/GrandLinq?src=hash">#GrandLinq</a> re: Chain-link fence through W.loo Park, Univ. of Waterloo and Perimeter Institute. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/wrLRT?src=hash">#wrLRT</a> <a href="https://t.co/K3ZKPI2iVV">pic.twitter.com/K3ZKPI2iVV</a></p>&mdash; Iain (@Canardiain) <a href="https://twitter.com/Canardiain/status/723098292943499264">April 21, 2016</a></blockquote>
I saw the crew hanging the contact wire (am I saying this right?) in the vicinity of Columbia Street today.
Contact wire - yes! The upper wire is called a messenger wire, and sags (hence the term catenary - a catenary curve is the shape a rope hangs in between two points due to gravity). The contact wire is the lower one, which the pantograph on the train comes in contact with, and is more-or-less horizontal.
(04-21-2016, 10:36 AM)Canard Wrote: Ottawa, Caroline to Mill is well under way now, is it not? Was by on the weekend and could see from Courtland/Borden that it's closed and traffic is detoured onto Borden as a result.

Charles to Mill.  Yes, work is going on.
Ottawa, Charles to Courtland is under heavy work. Courtland to Mill, though, has been barely touched (some utility work at the verges, but no serious work on the roadway itself).
(04-21-2016, 11:29 AM)KevinL Wrote: Ottawa, Charles to Courtland is under heavy work. Courtland to Mill, though, has been barely touched (some utility work at the verges, but no serious work on the roadway itself).

I assume that's to give the traffic a reasonable detour, at least for now.  Once the Courtland-Mill section closes, it seems to me that you're going to have to get over to Stirling via Mill, which is pretty roundabout if you're headed toward Stanley Park or the Aud or something.  When I think about it, getting off Ottawa at Homer Watson and going down to Stirling might be an easier option for a good portion of the traffic.

This morning they were ripping up the North CN track just east of Duke. They have an interesting rail-bound truck for pulling ties out of the ballast. Pretty mesmerizing to watch, actually.

(04-21-2016, 11:38 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(04-21-2016, 11:29 AM)KevinL Wrote: Ottawa, Charles to Courtland is under heavy work. Courtland to Mill, though, has been barely touched (some utility work at the verges, but no serious work on the roadway itself).

I assume that's to give the traffic a reasonable detour, at least for now.  Once the Courtland-Mill section closes, it seems to me that you're going to have to get over to Stirling via Mill, which is pretty roundabout if you're headed toward Stanley Park or the Aud or something.  When I think about it, getting off Ottawa at Homer Watson and going down to Stirling might be an easier option for a good portion of the traffic.

One can take Mill down to Sydney to get back to Ottawa Street or if one is going to the Aud or Stanley Park it makes sense to hop on the expressway given the speed humps on Sydney.
(04-21-2016, 12:00 PM)clasher Wrote:
(04-21-2016, 11:38 AM)panamaniac Wrote: I assume that's to give the traffic a reasonable detour, at least for now.  Once the Courtland-Mill section closes, it seems to me that you're going to have to get over to Stirling via Mill, which is pretty roundabout if you're headed toward Stanley Park or the Aud or something.  When I think about it, getting off Ottawa at Homer Watson and going down to Stirling might be an easier option for a good portion of the traffic.

One can take Mill down to Sydney to get back to Ottawa Street or if one is going to the Aud or Stanley Park it makes sense to hop on the expressway given the speed humps on Sydney.

True, but that Courtland/Sydney intersection is hazardous enough with light traffic - I'd hate to see it with heavy detours.
I saw the contact wire too. I wonder if it may just be a rope or something to pull the contact wire through, because it looked rather larger and oranger than I expected. I think they may have also started stringing the catenary further south toward university, but I only got a quick glance when driving by.
(04-21-2016, 12:03 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(04-21-2016, 12:00 PM)clasher Wrote: One can take Mill down to Sydney to get back to Ottawa Street or if one is going to the Aud or Stanley Park it makes sense to hop on the expressway given the speed humps on Sydney.

True, but that Courtland/Sydney intersection is hazardous enough with light traffic - I'd hate to see it with heavy detours.

Yup, it is. I'm lucky that I leave town around 6am so I don't have much traffic but it's a bear at rush hour.
(04-21-2016, 12:03 PM)jamincan Wrote: I saw the contact wire too. I wonder if it may just be a rope or something to pull the contact wire through, because it looked rather larger and oranger than I expected. I think they may have also started stringing the catenary further south toward university, but I only got a quick glance when driving by.

I initially thought so too when the catenary was being put in place a couple of weeks ago. But it is definitely a metal cable. The orange could be copper I guess, although I'm a bit surprised given how copper seems to be a magnet for theft.

750 VDC ought to be a decent deterrent. Wink
(04-21-2016, 03:36 PM)Canard Wrote: 750 VDC ought to be a decent deterrent. Wink

Sure, but it's not live yet, is it?

See also: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-...-1.2237298
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »