Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
That was the issue with the Spur Line Trail lighting, wasn't it? They'd lay the wire (laborious), but wanted to lay it all before paying a guy to come in and connect them all (quick), powering the lines and letting them be sealed in. But that meant they had many night thefts of unpowered, unsealed wire.

The work on the hydro corridor is full steam ahead. Lots of action today!
(04-21-2016, 03:43 PM)timc Wrote:
(04-21-2016, 03:36 PM)Canard Wrote: 750 VDC ought to be a decent deterrent. Wink

Sure, but it's not live yet, is it?

See also: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-...-1.2237298

Copper is currently half of the price at peak in 2011: http://www.nasdaq.com/markets/copper.aspx?timeframe=10y
Lots of work going on in the Uptown parking lot today as well! They've eliminated 2 of the pedestrian crossings from the parking lot to the Shops at Uptown, you essentially have to walk all the way to the end of the parking lot to get around the fence, then all the way back to get to the entrance of the shops. Quite annoying, especially for those with disabilities, I'd assume.
Today at the Grand Staircase of KCI - the missing "O" has been found and the railings are being installed.  Does anyone know why the railing on the inside curved cement wall is not just a single rail attached to the wall?  What's there is not very attractive, but I'm guessing there's some safety regulation that requires it.  

[Image: 2n99res.jpg]
(04-20-2016, 03:23 PM)Elmira Guy Wrote: I swear, if it wasn't for Lyndsay Morrison, I'd have no use for CTV at all.

LOL  Glad I'm not the only one... Wink
(04-21-2016, 12:00 PM)chutten Wrote: This morning they were ripping up the North CN track just east of Duke. They have an interesting rail-bound truck for pulling ties out of the ballast. Pretty mesmerizing to watch, actually.

They only did that little section, and left. I can't really make sense of the process here.

^ LOL, this reminds me of a scene from Sim City or something.  Just deleted one tile.

(04-21-2016, 06:29 PM)Coke6pk Wrote:
(04-20-2016, 03:23 PM)Elmira Guy Wrote: I swear, if it wasn't for Lyndsay Morrison, I'd have no use for CTV at all.

LOL  Glad I'm not the only one... Wink

I don't understand.  Undecided

Reticulating splines.
So I first spotted this a few days ago, but I finally got a good picture this morning.

It seems there are two methods to embed track being used; the one we've seen the most of is for areas where there will be frequent need for level ground, so the concrete is at a single level and a gap is reserved inside each rail for the wheel flange.

The second method is for long stretches where there is no crossing happening, like Charles between Benton and Eby. In this method, the flange gap is omitted and the concrete set at a slightly lower grade.

This picture illustrates both, by showing a transition point.

[Image: x6O1Jbl.jpg]

There's still a piece of plastic as a spacer in the flange gap, for the record.
Holy crap, that's a great catch, Kevin. I didn't notice that at all! I've never seen that before on other systems.
What am I missing re: the grade of those 2? There doesn't seem to be any difference in concrete height, unless I'm mistaken and grade means something different here.

(04-22-2016, 08:44 AM)GtwoK Wrote: What am I missing re: the grade of those 2? There doesn't seem to be any difference in concrete height, unless I'm mistaken and grade means something different here.

It's hard to tell with the clouds flattening the light, but the level of the concrete between the rails appears to be lower than the level of the concrete outside it.

Quote:This morning they were ripping up the North CN track just east of Duke. They have an interesting rail-bound truck for pulling ties out of the ballast. Pretty mesmerizing to watch, actually.

Ah, nuts, I meant _WEST_ of Duke (well, WSW. Stupid KW). The pile of ties is what's East of Duke. And the switching rails, which they left atop the North track.
Yup, where the rubber on the inside of the tracks at the top of the image ends, the concrete between the rails drops down a small distance. No need for smoothness with no car crossings to be had.

That said, I wonder where all of these locations would be? Imagine if a property abutted by this type of rail suddenly had need of a driveway entrance across the track. To level it out, you would need quite the effort, especially if the rubber inserts were needed to be added.

Driveways crossing the tracks: to LRT, this will be the equivalent of cars creeping across crosswalks and stopping pedestrians, only the LRT can't dodge around them. Similarly, driveways that are private, I would be shocked if they didn't run into the issues you have in Toronto with parallel parking. Someone will park in the right of way, and we'll have serious need for a GRT tow truck (or standing contract) to move the cars.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »