Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(04-22-2016, 08:14 PM)timio Wrote: Anyone know if there have been provisions made in the current work on the 401 for a future LRT passing under the rail corridor.

Unfortunately, I don't think so. See, that would require staff to look past Environmental Assessment completion and project funding, and I don't think they feel like they have support to plan that far ahead.

I also don't think we'll see LRT and freight sharing the line here, because the line is used during the day. The only way they can get away with it on the spur in Waterloo is because it's only used by freight after-hours, so there's no mixed service. Transport Canada will not permit freight trains running at the same time as LRT, because of crash regulations. (This is also why the UP Express is as ugly as it is, I found out recently.)
Crews this morning busy terraforming the R&T stop berm! Also, the disgusting fence is up between Bearanger & Quiet Place, and it's bad, folks.
Catenary work continues between Bearanger and Columbia. The OCS is divided up into sections, each of which has a tensioner. So the section from Columbia to Bearanger is one "zone" of tensioned wire.

Work on the future R&T Park platform:

Traction Power Substation (TPSS) at Bearanger:

Overview of the state of the OMSF:

I find it very interesting that they have fenced off the interior of the yard, where the trackwork will begin.  Why would they fence off a section of an already fenced-off construction zone (the whole site)?  In my experience, once you're "in" a construction site there should be no more fences, because you've already got your PPE on and have been given proper safety training.  I can't wrap my head around this.

Edit - I have since learned that this is used to delineate the work zones between multiple subcontractors.
...and finally (see previous page for more photos), the fence going up between Bearanger and Quiet Place.  It is 1.5m/5' high.  And it is not pretty.

It seems that when it comes to ION LRT, you can't have too many fences.

(04-23-2016, 09:32 AM)Canard Wrote: Crews this morning busy terraforming the R&T stop berm!

What's that mean? I remember asking and being told that the berm was going to be left as it is.
They're notching out the berm right where the kink in the road is - knocking it down flush/flat, I suspect for the trail/entrance to be a little bigger into the station area.
I think the fence we are seeing installed is the direct result of trying to create a rapid transit system on the cheap, elements were shaved off to cut costs.

I really wish the underground section at King and Victoria would have remained a part of the project.
Underground section at King/Victoria whut whut?!
I happened to be on the path from University to Seagram when this vehicle was coming through. Seemed like it was removing excess rocks from the track & ties, but I could be wrong.

Also, it looks like they only have ties down on one of the two directions by the University & in Waterloo Park. Am I correct?
The ties on one side have been covered by the gravel.

Canard: great pictures as always, but the street is spelled "Bearinger".

Got another look at the embedding and took some new shots for posterity.

Looking high to low:
[Image: Hw1rPvs.jpg]

Close up:
[Image: 1Erjlwy.jpg]
What're they gonna pt in between the track in these center-running sections? Just fill the middle and narrow outer spaces with gravel?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »